Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White clumps in my filter sand when changing, anyone know what it is?

1. Back To Top    #1

White clumps in my filter sand when changing, anyone know what it is?

I have these white clumps in my sand from the filter.

is it clumped up DE or cellos fiber or maybe those white cotton things in air clumping up? or something else.

replacing my sand anyways, but would like to know what is causing the white clumps, here is a picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White clumps in my filter sand when changing, anyone know what it is?

Probably a combination of all the above. What is your normal calcium hardness?-------my next best bet.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

oh its real soft and mushy,

normal calcium levels.
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

4. Back To Top    #4

Soft and mushy sounds like DE clods. Even DE filters have some stay behind when backwashing, so it wouldn't surprise me if some lingered in your sand. Does it feel slightly gritty when you smash it between your fingers?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

not gritty at all, if I smoosh it into a cup of water it dissolves into the water. should I worry about this clumping, putting in new sand today.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222 View Post
    not gritty at all, if I smoosh it into a cup of water it dissolves into the water. should I worry about this clumping, putting in new sand today.
    No. It could be cellulose. That stuff doesn't feel gritty like DE. Whatever it is, you've removed in.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I like using my fiber cellose though, makes the water crystal clear, like a sheet of glass, but I wouldn't want this clumping up to happen again. maybe I need to dissolve it better before I put it into the skimmer?