Updated with picture...Builder wants to polish stonescapes???

ASP

Feb 7, 2014
Texas
Hello,
We are just finishing up our pool build. This forum is a wealth of knowledge, and I thank all of you who have shared your experiences. We now need some advice.
Our pool was plastered 13 days ago. We decided to upgrade to the stonescapes mini pebble. Unfortunately, ours has the look, size, and texture of regular pebble, not mini. Our PB was at our home the morning of the plaster, but left before they started the pebble. I had to leave during, and when I returned, they were nearly finished. From our second story, I could see individual pebbles, which seemed very big to me compared to the other mini pebble pools we had seen, so I wanted to get a closer look. Unfortunately, it looked much bigger and rougher than the mini. I texted the PB, letting him know the pebble did not look like the correct size. He said there is some variation, but he would check with the plaster lead. Later that day he texted me it was mini. I thought maybe I was crazy, after all, I am not an expert. Maybe with lots of brushing the big pebble would wash off and mini would appear...who knows??? But I really wanted our PB to come and take a look.
The PB came out to look at it for yesterday, and says it is mini, but admits that the texture, look, and size are not the same as the mini sample. He thinks that we should drain the pool and he will have it all polished so it is a smoother finish. Has anyone heard of this? If so, will it affect the durability of the pool?
PB is going to have the head plaster guy come out to discuss(he said probably not this week but next because of the holiday).
Just wondering if anyone has had their pebble polished...
Thanks so much for any help!

Re: Builder wants to polish stonescapes???

Welcome to TFP :wave:

I've not heard of it here to be sure, and I don't believe that is common at all. As far as I know, polished surfaces are made from softer materials that lend themselves to being sanded. I thought pebbles were way too hard for that, although I suppose it's possible. It certainly isn't the intent of the finish manufacturer for a pebble to be sanded/polished in my opinion. It's entirely possible they didn't apply a mini pebble, or there is a lot of variation in the sizes. I wouldn't bet money on that though, mini is chosen because people like the finer, smoother texture. Without having seen the bags it came in, it will be impossible to know for certain what was applied. Do you have any samples of the mini you chose? I would think you might have a case for re-do if it's drastically different than your samples.

If I were you, I would call the company, and ask to speak to them about the situation. They will tell you, but my guess is they are going to agree with me on the sanding. Please let us know what you find out.

Thank you, Brushpup!
Yes, I am going to call NPT this morning. I talked to them on Thursday, and they were checking into it. I also have some other concerns about our plaster, which the PB agrees are not correct...big long streaks from the shallow end down into the deep end(8 1/2 ft), white splotches and blue splotches around the deep end bottom by the drain(PB is going to have a diver come out and work on them), and we have lots of clete marks from their shoes all over the shallow end, and one visible on in our tanning ledge by the bubbler(we will talk about this with the plaster guy when he comes out). All in all, in our opinion, it was a very sloppy plaster job. Very disappointing. The jacuzzi benches are not straight across(they are a bit wavy), and there are areas in the shallow end and jacuzzi where the plaster mounds up and is very sharp. And then to top it off, it is not at all like the mini pebble sample we have...we have asked every person that has been over including people in the construction and building supply industry to look at the samples(in and out of the water), and everyone agrees it is NOT the mini pebble, but is the regular. We paid over $5600 for the upgrade to mini pebble from white plaster. It has been very disappointing.

Never heard back from NPT yesterday. Got an email from PB stating he talked with the plaster guy and they think it is best to sand it, fill holes,and get rid of streaks. He wants to drain pool and get this done. I am very nervous about this. I called NPT again this morning and the receptionist sent me to voice mail again, so I called back and explained that I needed to talk to someone ASAP. She took my number and assured I would be called back after he got off of the phone. I am trying to remain patient. I am very skeptical of doing this.
Update...just talked with NPT...he said he guessed you could polish stonescapes, but it would not be smooth, as the stone is too hard. He said it sounds like a less expensive fix for PB and plaster installer. He said to get them both onsite to discuss, and then if that doesn't happen, NPT will get involved. I am on my way to NPT to get another sample of the mini and regular...maybe we got bad samples before?!?...probably not, but just want to have it all there for PB and plasterer. I just wish the PB would admit it is not what we ordered. I also am very upset that we had to pay a big upgrade for something that we did not get.
Update#2...just got back from NPT to get samples. I took a picture of the samples in our water...I will let you decide. I think it is pretty obvious which one was installed. I have to figure out how to post a photo.

Aqua_cool_pebble_vs_mini_pebble.jpg

Which one is it? Bottom Left or Bottom Right? The samples are on top of the applied plaster which is the whole background (on our tanning ledge) fully submerged in water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Your PB is trying to weasel out of HIS mistake. Obvious that he had the plaster guys install the wrong one. I hope you can find a way to amicably solve this!

Would you be satisfied with the current job if the builder agrees to refund your upgrade cost?

I didn't even see the sample on the left! 'Nuf said.

Welp,
You certainly did the right thing getting touch with NPT and getting samples like you did.

No doubt what-so-ever
View attachment 29544

Which one is it? Bottom Left or Bottom Right? The samples are on top of the applied plaster which is the whole background (on our tanning ledge) fully submerged in water.

Hi! To be clear, photo above is of the samples submerged in 6" of water, sitting on the pool floor of the tanning ledge area. The samples are about 1/2" or a bit more thick, so the pebble on them will appear to be a bit bigger than the plastered pool below. If I look at samples from my second story above the pool, you can see the individual pebbles on the left sample, and cannot see any of the pebbles on the sample on the right. The PB said to my face that it is mini, even thought he then quickly added he thought it was a beautiful look, which we agree, but we are concerned about it being too rough,as we have children. Plus, this is NOT what we paid the major upgrade fee for!!! He then said he would talk to the plaster installer, and would probably drain and then polish it all to make it feel smoother. I was in shock that he would still say it was mini...I thank you all who have given me feedback, I would appreciate anymore I can get. I really am at a loss of what to do. I don't think we should have to pay for something we didn't get. And I am hesitant to trust that polishing would work. I spent the afternoon on the phone with plaster companies in our area, asking if they have ever polished stonescapes, and they all laughed at me, saying, "no way...it is pebble!!! It is not made to be polished!" I am very frustrated. I would have much more faith in my PB if he would just admit they made a mistake, but he hasn't. And I am deeply disappointed.

He STILL said you got the mini WHILE looking at the two samples in your pool?????

He KNOWS it is wrong. I would NOT stop hounding him until he AT LEAST gave me the money back for the "up-grade".

Have him show you how he is going to "polish" the stone on the sample! "I want to see what you are going to do to make if feel better."

I like the idea of looking at his order sheet!

It will be interesting to see what NPT has to say.

There is NO question of what you got. Now the question is what is the PB going to do about it.

HUGS you poor thing!

Kim

Here is my opinion,

Do Not let them polish the pool. That certainly is not recommneded by the plaster manufacturer. YOu possibly could end up with a worse product than you have now.
Get a written staement from NPT based upon your pics and then make PB replace it all.
If PB wont replace it, I dont think you should pay for any of the plaster. If you do, the PB may just walk away and forego the upgrade and you will STILL have to deal with the plaster.

I didn't even see the sample on the left! 'Nuf said.

I was thinking the exact same thing!
Me too - took me a second to be able to see it.

Can you live with it? Either way you shouldn't be paying for it - it's the PB's error (or his crews), not yours. He needs to make it right for you. If you're not happy, he needs to take it out and replaster it. If you're okay with it - you need a substantial discount for not getting what you asked for.

I'd also agree with not letting them polish it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.