Air bubbles

Some jets are designed to have air coming in. They are usually venturi type jets, and they are usually on steps and seats. If they are regular returns, then they should not have air coming in with the water. If they do, then there might be a suction side air leak. A suction side air leak can usually be seen as air in the pump basket area.

If you have a SWG, then there will be very tiny hydrogen bubbles when the cell is making chlorine.

Backwashing temporarily pushes the air out of your filter. Without finding and repairing your suction side leak it will continue to build up. I had a pretty big leak when I first took over our pool. It got so bad that when the timer turned the pump off at the end of the day, the now pressurized air forced it's way back though the skimmer causing a 3 foot geyser!

You can use a can of regular shaving cream to help find leaks. Just put some around all the fittings and watch for the air bubbles to stop. You may even be able to see it get sucked in.

---

If there isn't air coming from the jet by the stairs when you first turn the pump on, chances are it's not a venturi type jet and shouldn't have bubbles.

It might be due to pressurized air in the filter forcing itself backward like I mentioned above. When this happens it pushes the water out of the pump basket and back into the pool. Could you post a pic of your pump and filter setup?

If you are lucky, the suction side leak is from the lid of your pump basket. Check the seal and look for blades of grass and other debris. When I get bubbles that's always been the reason. You might be so lucky.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.