Question about test results and green pool

Jul 16, 2007
I have been running like crazy the last few days and ran out of chlorine. The water turned green on me but I got to it quickly. The problem is I just threw bleach at it till I could test the water. I put 5 gallons the first night and 2.5 the next morning. The next night I threw another container in (2.5 gallons).
Today is the next afternoon so the chlorine has been in the sun for 2 days. This afternoon I cleaned the filter out real good and reloaded the autoclorinator (it was empty). Then I tested the water
Here are the numbers
TA 130
PH 8.2 (we have had a lot of rain)
CYA 32
FC 2.5
CC 0

My question is since all of the chlorine is free after 2 days do you think that means the algae is dead? I couldn't get readings in the morning after adding the chlorine. The water is pretty clear with just a hint of cloudy from dead algae. I was hoping not to have to take it back to 15 and measure in the morning. I only have 2 jugs left. I guess I can run to the tore and get some of those powder shock packets if you guys think I should.

What do you think?
I really apreciate all the help I get here. Our local pool stores were killing me before I found this site.

First, you need to get the PH down. You don't want the PH to be above 7.8.

Still having a FC level after 24 hours does tend to suggest that you have killed all the algae, though it doesn't prove it. It is possible for small patches of algae to survive medium chlorine levels and then grow back a couple of days later, though that isn't exactly common.

sjoefl01 said:
I guess I can run to the tore and get some of those powder shock packets if you guys think I should.

You would be much better off runing to the store and getting some more bleach... and like Jason said, some Muratic Acid to lower your PH.

Be weary of those powder shocks; the contain extra things that you don't necessarily want to add...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.