Pool pipes - what are they?

Jul 6, 2013
Attached are 2 photos of my pool and equipment. Can someone please tell me which pipes are which? They used to be labeled but the labels are mostly worn off. There are 2 Hayward north star pumps, the one on the left is for the pool filters and the right one is for the waterfall. I have 2 pool filter basket areas and a spa. I'm just not sure which is the pool drain v. the skimmers v. the spa drain, etc.

I'm asking bc I'm going to try to vacuum my pool manually but have no clue how to adjust the equipment. I know that I am going to have to adjust the handles. I also know that I will have to isolate the one filter basket from the other, again no clue.

First step, learn what the pipes are then learn what to do with them.

Also, I'd like to add details to my signature so if you have equipment info for me to add please let me know. What I do know - 21000g gunite pool/spa/waterfall, hayward pumps, hayward heater, 4 cartridge, SWG, TFP-100 test kit owner - anything else?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2915.jpg
    IMG_2915.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 108
The waterfall pump is on the right. It has one suction line and two returns. I am not sure why it has two returns, apparently with different pipe sizes.

The suction side of the second pump has four water sources. The valve closest to the pump chooses between pool and spa. I presume that the single pipe side is the spa. The other three are probably main drain and two different skimmers. The main drain is probably the one closer to the pump with the two skimmers in the foreground of the photo.

The pipe somewhat high up between the two pumps with a valve and small canister is for a main pump powered pressure side cleaner. The small canister is a small filter for the water being sent to the cleaner.

The tall pipe with black electrical device on top is a blower for the spa.

There are three returns near the heater. The valve on the pipe coming from the heater chooses between pool and spa. It looks like the two returns that arch up are probably spa returns, though I might have that wrong. That would leave the single return on the right going to the pool. I don't know why there are two sets of spa returns, presumably two separate sets of jets.

Thanks Jason. I believe you are correct and there are 2 sets of spa jets.

I updated my photo with labels per your thoughts. Can you review just to make sure I understood your comments.

Few more questions:

1. There is a valve between the 2 pool skimmer pipes. Would this be the valve that would close off one valve or the other if turned properly? I assume this would need to be adjusted if I were vacuuming with a manual vac so more pressure would be allocated to the skimmer in use. Correct?

2. What is the valve between the main drain and the skimmers? I assume you can completely shut off the main drains or the skimmer intakes if needed. Correct?

3. The valve that decides pool/spa or just spa (closest to the pool pump) is set with the skimmer pipe to off. I think my pool operates as both pool and spa (bc there is a spillover from the spa) or just spa. In other words you can't just run the pool and not the spa. So why is my spa skimmer set to off? Can this valve be turned so the handle faces the pool pump?

Tomorrow if I get a minute I will turn the pool over to spa only and watch the intake and return valves turn just to make sure they work as I think.

Thanks,
Traci

1) Yep.
2) Yep.
3) It is possible to run pool only, spa only, or pool plus spa spillover. How your automation system is setup determines what will happen. It looks like it is setup to only offer two of the three right now, but you could change that if you want (with some pros/cons). Pool plus spa spillover is done by setting the suction valve to pool only, and the return valve to both pool and spa. That is how the valves are set in the photo. Pool only would be both valves set to pool only. Spa mode is both valves set to spa only.

With a little experimentation you can figure out which skimmer is which and which set of spa jets is which.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.