Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question: Filter Pressure after installing a new heater

1. Back To Top    #1

Question: Filter Pressure after installing a new heater

Pool Size: 24,000 Gal
    Filter: Hayward DE 4800
    Pump: Hayward (old)
    Heater: Raypak 337

Hello, I just had a Raypak 337 (333 BTU) heater installed on my pool. Prior to the installation, my pool pressure was usually 15-18 psi, and I normally backwashed at 25 psi. After having the heater installed the pressure is at 22-24 psi. I have tried to backwash, and reinstalled DE, but the pressure stays the same. Additionally, I notice after the heater install that there is some air that I can release for a good 1-3 seconds from top of filter every day when I check the pump. I never had this much air prior to the heater install on the filter. I do not notice any leaks anywhere.

Question: Is this normal for the pressure to raise? Is the air in filter going to be an issue? Could the pressure and air in filter be related?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Question: Filter Pressure after installing a new heater

Yes, it is normal for the filter pressure to rise after you install a heater.

The air in the filter issue is more puzzling, as that would not normally have anything to do with the heater or the increase in pressure. If anything I would expect the air (if any) to reduce when the heater was installed.

In any case, follow the suggestions in the suction side leaks article in the Solving Problems section of Pool School for the air in the filter issue.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School