Question: Filter Pressure after installing a new heater

Jul 1, 2009
Pool Size: 24,000 Gal
Filter: Hayward DE 4800
Pump: Hayward (old)
Heater: Raypak 337

Hello, I just had a Raypak 337 (333 BTU) heater installed on my pool. Prior to the installation, my pool pressure was usually 15-18 psi, and I normally backwashed at 25 psi. After having the heater installed the pressure is at 22-24 psi. I have tried to backwash, and reinstalled DE, but the pressure stays the same. Additionally, I notice after the heater install that there is some air that I can release for a good 1-3 seconds from top of filter every day when I check the pump. I never had this much air prior to the heater install on the filter. I do not notice any leaks anywhere.

Question: Is this normal for the pressure to raise? Is the air in filter going to be an issue? Could the pressure and air in filter be related?

Yes, it is normal for the filter pressure to rise after you install a heater.

The air in the filter issue is more puzzling, as that would not normally have anything to do with the heater or the increase in pressure. If anything I would expect the air (if any) to reduce when the heater was installed.

In any case, follow the suggestions in the suction side leaks article in the Solving Problems section of Pool School for the air in the filter issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.