Clueless in VT

Sadly, none of that is useful at this point.

Okay... so... first step, make a shopping list.

You know you'll need Chlorine. Either Chlorox or store brand 8.25% or Liquid shock or pool chlorine that is the same but stronger. It doesn't matter which, as long as you know the concentration. If they're ashamed to list it on the jug, you don't want it. 9 or 10 jugs of chlorox; 8 should be plenty to start with if it's stronger stuff. Expect to need more later.

You'll need some baking soda. Walmart and Costco sell big bags. Grocery stores sell smaller packages. It doesn't have to be brand name stuff, as long as it's pure baking soda, sodium bicarbonate. You'll need about 13 lbs of it.

You'll need some Borax. Buy one box.

You'll also need a brush and a pole and maybe a leaf rake, and a vacuum setup. You might have some of that left behind. use the Visual Encyclopedia to identify any mystery items.

When you return from the store (and you know you'll have spent less than if you went to the pool store) scatter the baking soda in the pool and brush it around with the pump on. After half an hour, retest pH and TA. If TA is above, say 50, you're ready to adjust pH.

Use pool math to get the dose for the Borax. You will need the TA to get this right. Add that just the way they say in the Pool School article. After another half an hour of brushing, circulation, and pulling debris out of the bottom. recheck pH. You might need more Borax, if you were below the bottom of the pH tester.

Once you have TA above 50 and the pH is anywhere between 7.2 and 7.8, have at it. Jugs away! Your target is 10 FC for your 20 CYA. Use poolmath to tell you how much to dose each time. Take pictures.

Reread the SLAM article a few times once you get started. It will make more sense once you start doing.

I'd recheck the FC level after the first hour. Expect it to have dropped considerably. If the CC is way high, you might have ammonia in the water. Post back and let us know. Although the solution is the same -- more bleach! Keep aiming for 10 FC.

Hi Richard,

I added 13lbs of baking soda, brushed and skimmed--here's the results:

pH = 6.8
TA = 110 (tested this twice to make sure)

Pool math says I need 120oz (by weight) of Borax, does that sound accurate? I only ask because that turns out to be two boxes instead of one.

This is gonna be a good one! I'm gonna watch this thread. Good job getting that pump/filter all hooked back up and working! For now I'm just going to be nosy and watch the thread cause I love green to clean threads! I'll let someone else comment on actual dosing because I'm not comfortable doing that yet! :)

Welcome to TFP you're off to a GREAT start! When the neighbors see the results they will like you more than they liked the previous owners!

BTW, as to the pucks, you now have a great supply of vacation chlorine! ;-) (More on that when you get bored because your pool is so sparkly you have nothing else to do!)

Hi Richard,

I added 13lbs of baking soda, brushed and skimmed--here's the results:

pH = 6.8
TA = 110 (tested this twice to make sure)

Pool math says I need 120oz (by weight) of Borax, does that sound accurate? I only ask because that turns out to be two boxes instead of one.
That much baking soda shouldn't have jacked up the TA that much. I wonder if your pool isn't as big as you think? If it's only filled to three feet, it would be 11000 gallons.

Anyway, for huge pH changes, it's better to do things in half steps. No point overshooting the PH up and then have to waste more money adding acid. I'd put in half of what the pool calculator says. Remember to input the current TA level so it calculates properly.

Update!

We've been keeping the chlorine level at around 10 as suggested. It's made a pretty big difference already!

t59lkq3.jpg

Still looking about the same as a few days ago; do you think I should get some DE to help with the cloudiness? Still having to add bleach every 4-5 hours to maintain our FC level.
Probably. After almost a week since blue, it should be noticeably clear, if not completely clear.

Have you done a full set of tests recently? The next time FC is below 10, run all of them again. If you've had to backwash or anything, your low CYA could be even lower than it was.

Hi Richard, thanks for checking in!

New test results:

FC: 3.5
CC: 0.5
TA: 90
CYA: a little over 30. This is higher than last time...I didn't add anything for stabilizer so I guess chalk it up to newbie doing a test
pH: 7.5

I measured the pool volume again and it's definitely 25' across by 3.5' deep.

Should I try to find some conditioner & DE?

Hi Richard, thanks for checking in!

New test results:

FC: 3.5
CC: 0.5
TA: 90
CYA: a little over 30. This is higher than last time...I didn't add anything for stabilizer so I guess chalk it up to newbie doing a test
pH: 7.5

I measured the pool volume again and it's definitely 25' across by 3.5' deep.

Should I try to find some conditioner & DE?
Conditioner, no. 30 is a good CYA level to SLAM. After it's cleared up, then you might want to raise it. But not now.

A big yes on the DE or cellulose. Early reports indicate that cellulose doesn't cause the pressure to rise 1 psi until you've severely overloaded things. If you've added 4 cups and the pressure hasn't risen, just stop. It will go up, and probably pretty fast, as it starts to filter out the hazy stuff.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.