Ground not level enough I don't think.

Jun 27, 2013
west fargo
Long story short I started ground prep for a build about a month ago to much rain couldn't really work on it.
After digging one side down I found that the other side was to low I am guessing it was because we got a lot of rain and the ground settled.
I took the sod from one side and put it on the muddy/Low side which is a issue I had with my 15' x 48" which was unleveled but worked fine?
In the picture the side closes to the fence is the soft/muddy side.

My hope is that the sod will settle and allow the area to not be near as muddy.
Any thoughts on this I know you shouldn't normally build up but it seemed like this was the best
option since when the muddy area a person can sink about 1"-2" when it's super wet.

5aky7r.jpg

Putting that sod on the low end isn't going to work IMO. Either dig the high end down to the low end or if you can get your hands on some screenings from your friendly neighborhood quarry. Then you could raise the low wet end up with the screenings. The screenings would then have to be compacted with a plate compactor. Sand wouldn't be a good option as sand doesn't compact very well and can wash out.
Maybe you could talk to a landscaper or somebody in the const. business about getting the screenings and hauling them. You would probably only need a couple, 3 ton or so by the looks of it. How much lower is the wet, muddy spot compared to the high end ?

One thing I read last year when I prepared the ground....always dig out and don't add. (Makes sence)

I bought a 12 foot 2x4 (staightest one I could find) and screw my 4' level onto it.
I thought I had my ground level for my 12x42. Once up and filled ....I was almost an inch low on one side.
...just a little " FYI"

Also...I'd recommend. .....if you even slightly think you will upgrade to a larger pool in the next couole years....go ahead and level out farther out around. Reason I say this.....is because my 12' ...I knew I'd buy a bigger one in a year or two. We are on sencond year. Last year uograded to the salt water system. .. (worth every dollar and more!!!) ....this year I upgraded to the sand filter/pump and Hayward wall skimmer. (In progress now. (Did use pump to pump out some water....wow...sucker has some suction!!!)
....anyhow...next year is a larger pool. 14 or 18??
My point....I was thinking the other day....I sure wished I had went ahead and leveled out further ......so it would be much easier when upgrade size of pool. ;)

Either use screenings or wait til the ground dries out and dig out the high spots.

Yeah I think I am going to have to dig out the high spots. When you guys say screening is that like the paver sand where it will soak up the water and then harden? Maybe like this but from a quarry so it's cheaper.

http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...-mix/paver-leveling-sand/p-1934747-c-5784.htm

Sorry if that is a dumb question. I been trying to cut cost because I am over budget for this project.

Another things about this area that space behind the new pool you can see the outline of my old pool that area is very wet. We have a drain in the right corner of the yard that is the other reason for using the sod I did in hopes to get the water to go more to the back of the area.

Thanks for all the information

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.