Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: !!!! Filter Emergency!!!!!

1. Back To Top    #1

!!!! Filter Emergency!!!!!

So after vacuuming a few times and finding junk in the pool the next morning I opened up the filter and removed the sand (Hayward GM-142 sand filter 50#) and find that the stand pipe is cracked 90% of the way around at the base. I can't get a new pipe, I would have to get the whole tank at 250.00 or more. I need advice fast on what to go with for a new filter; cartridge, DE, brand etc... . The pump is a single speed 1HP Hayward. HELP!!!

own intex 15' above ground metal frame pool
    cartridge filter pump model 637 800gph

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: !!!! Filter Emergency!!!!!

Hi, Wayne, welcome to TFP.

A question like that is liable to get you as many answers as there are members here! Everyone has their preference on what type of filter is best!

I am not an equipment guru... I am sure someone who knows more than me will chime in shortly!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sahuarita, AZ

Some details on your pool would definitely be useful... size, construction, etc... where you live... do you have lots of trees nearby...
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

4. Back To Top    #4

Heheh, I realized that I never gave the pool size in the original post. Anyhoo, the emergency is over. I was able to go to Lowe's and get a schedule 40 pipe and a fenco sleeve and we are running again for 5 bucks

Sorry for panicking and thank you for the fast responses. This one's for you

own intex 15' above ground metal frame pool
    cartridge filter pump model 637 800gph