Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: just made a big mistake.

1. Back To Top    #1

just made a big mistake.

I took the top of my filter off to check my sand, since its been over 5 years. unfortunately the white tube moved up like 2 inches. no way to get it back down unless I remove all the sand and put it back in.

So should I just replace all my sand since I have to take it out?

or is there a way to get the laterals and tube back down into the bottom?

so what kind of sand should I replace it with?

this is the filter I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Sta-Ri.../dp/B008GT5CMS
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: just made a big mistake.

You are going to have to remove all the sand to put it back together, but you could just reuse the sand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oh, phew! I thought you were going to confess that you'd taken a water sample to the pool store and handed them your credit card! That would be a big mistake. What you did was a learning experience.

It's your call whether to reuse or replace. Do you have some garden space to dispose of the old stuff? Do you have a tarp or someplace clean to scoop it to if you intend to reuse it?

A wet-n-dry shop vacuum will speed up the emptying.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just got done shop vacuuming 350lbs of sand, wasn't to bad. The very bottom where the laterals screw in, there is nothing at the bottom that locks it into place, it just sits at the bottom. so when I was twisting it, it ended up rising.

Now the question is reuse the old sand, or buy 350lbs of new sand, what is this zeobrite? which is better to use?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Does anyone know what this is? was many of these clumped up in the sand? very soft white stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Very mixed reviews on anything that is not just plain filter sand.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

We don't recommend using zeo filter media. It gets rather high complaint rates, though the people who it works for tend to love it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

is the bottom of my laterals supposed to lock in at the bottom of the filter? mine doesn't, just wanna make sure if that is normal, just sits at the bottom.

ya looks like zoebrite is way to expensive, how much does the regular silica sand #20, for 50lb bag cost? looks like i'm gonna have to buy it from a pool store, lowes and home depot don't carry it.

back to the picture, tons of those clumps in my sand, is that my DE or cellose fiber building up in the filter?

9. Back To Top    #9

All I gotta say is AVOID anything but good olde pool sand...RUN from alternative media, don't ask me why
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

10. Back To Top    #10

been reading up on the forums with a search, i'm defiantly going with sand

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm not overly familiar with that specific sand filter but my new sand filter, the stand pipe just rested on the bottom, no attachment.

Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

12. Back To Top    #12

any experience in the picture, tons of those clumps in my sand, is that my DE or cellose fiber building up in the filter? could also be those white flying cotton things?

ty everyone btw

13. Back To Top    #13

I ordered my pool sand to come to my local Ace hardware store through the website. It wasn't exactly cheap, I think $11-12 for each 50 lb bag. I ordered 1 bag too few and didn't want to wait another week, so I hunted elsewhere locally. ie- anywhere but the pool store. Found some at local Menards store for $8 a bag. It was sort of hidden around with all the concrete/cement large bag products. I would check your local home depot/lowes in person. The staff may not even know they have it. Look amongst all the Quickcrete 50 lb bags area, usually in the back or building materials area. Just make sure it's labeled as pool sand.

It could indeed be those cotton things, or from just looking at them they look like oil/grease build up from lotions/suncreen. Is it waxy, pliable?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons