MDX Drain Clogged -- Need Advice

May 18, 2014
Texas
Looking for advice on how to clear a clog in my MDX main drain. It finally warmed up enough that I was able to dive into the deep end to take a closer look and after a series of dives, I was able to get the three phillips screws loose and the main cover off. I found a lot of leaves, small rocks, etc. in there and cleared out what I could but large amounts are still stuck under the next internal drain layer (secured by Security Torx screws). I tried the pump again and isolated to just pull from the main drain and the pump still can't get a solid flow from the main drain. I used the Drain King hose bladder and tried to pump water backwards through the system. Water flowed well it sounded like when using the Drain King, but after switching the pump back on, it is still mostly clogged. Looking for advice at this point...

Do I try to take the security torx screws out and get access to most (if not all) of the rest of the clog or do I call in a professional or try something else entirely? With the MD being in the 10'+ deep end, things are difficult at best working down there.

Thanks.

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend trying a manual vacuum hose to see if you can suck up any of the debris through the grate. That is only like a 30% chance of working, but it is a lot less work than the next step (which is indeed to remove that grate and clean out everything you can).

Rookie Question -- On the manual vacuum, would something like a wet/dry vac with a long hose work or do I need something a bit more pool specific? Still relatively new to this pool thing. I bought a Pool Blaster Max a while back, but that thing is nowhere near powerful enough to do the job -- a bit disappointing...

Welcome to TFP!

I recommend trying a manual vacuum hose to see if you can suck up any of the debris through the grate. That is only like a 30% chance of working, but it is a lot less work than the next step (which is indeed to remove that grate and clean out everything you can).

All you really need is a vacuum hose and some way to connect it to the skimmer port.
launboy-VacuumHose.jpg

They sell these at big box hardware stores, as well as the pool store. And as long as you have the hose and an adaptor - ideally a skimmer plate -- you might as well get the head that fits on your pole... More pictures.

Weight one end down underwater somehow. The vacuum head will work. Feed the hose down underwater holding it vertical so all the air escapes. Then slap it into the suction port in the skimmer. You now have a vacuum. Swim on down and start sucking the debris out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.