Problems with spa jets and sand in spa

May 18, 2014
Scottsdale, AZ
Hi everyone, First time poster. I did some searching but kind of got lost in the process so thought I'd start my own thread with our problems.

We totally remodeled the pool this spring. New pebbletec, new variable speed pump, new sand in the filter and new light.

Problem 1:
After tech installed the new pump, replaced the sand and turned it all on, we had sand flowing into the pool/spa. Turns out it was a broken manifold in the filter which we then had replaced. Now there is still a little sand that keeps getting into the spa. We've cleaned and cleaned and cleaned, but it keeps coming back. We're down from probably 50 pounds to a couple of cups. But it's still enough to gather and make using the spa feel like it's confused as to whether it's a spa or beach!

Question: Could it be that sand is still in the lines? How long should it take for all the lines to be cleared of sand "if" all is in good working order?

Problem 2:
We have lost all jet action in the spa except for 1 jet. I think we have about 6 total. I can put my finger in the jet and feel a little swirling water but spa water is basically still. When we turn on the blower, water is blowing up hard and splashes out over the top,but yet if you put your hand in front of the jet you feel nothing.

Question: It seems there is no directional on the spa jets. Is that the reason? I read about "air-lock" but it seems that applies to above ground spas. Any other ideas on how to fix?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

1) Normally it should only take an hour or two with the pump running to flush out any sand. Still, if sand is only going into the spa, and not into the pool, odds are that the filter is fine and this is somehow connected to the spa jet issue.

2) You should remove the spa jet nozzles and flush out the system by running in spa mode for an hour or two with the nozzles out. The jets often require a recessed wrench, kind of like a spark plug wrench to take out, though that varies somewhat by brand. In any case, that is probably the only way to really get everything out of the spa plumbing.

The spa jet nozzles are deep inside the wall of the spa. You cannot see them from the outside unless you empty the spa and look directly into the hole. You need a long 9/16" socket wrench to remove them and most look like this:

94456.jpg

They can be 1" on up but probably not more than about 9". Removing them makes it easier to flush out the lines. If you continue to get sand after that, then there could still be an issue with the filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
we did that. Ran the spa for a couple of hours and the blower for about 1 hour. The bigger issue is jetted water coming out of 1 jet out of 5. The other 4 have nothing.
I read in another thread to lower the water and turn the spa on. Water should flow out of the jets. Same result. Water comes out of one jet and nothing out of the others.

Yea, that is probably a blockage of some sort and usually the only way to clear that is by removing the nozzles.

Hi everyone!

Yea....finally got the spa fixed! All is good.

Hubby had full knee replacement on June 5th so that sort of put a wrench in our life for awhile.

I finally was able to drain the spa and with a flashlight saw the nozzles you said we had and every one had a strange piece of plastic in them. One also had lots of sand and debris as well. We can't figure out what there little pieces of plastic. They are obviously broken from something but one was in each nozzle. Got the 9/16th socket wrench and removed all the nozzles. Turned on the spa and water came out of each of them!!! Yea!!!

Then I vacuumed all the sand out of the spa, refilled it and we have a spa again!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions and help!

2014 7-10 plastic pieces.jpg

Not sure about the manifold. It was black and cracked but no visible pieces missing nor did we see any white parts on the manifold.

But, I can't tell you how happy I am that it's fixed!!! Without being told here about the nozzles, I would never have figured it out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.