Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thick algae covered layer of leaves

1. Back To Top    #1

Thick algae covered layer of leaves

So my filter was broken all winter . I rented a pump and drained down to the shallow end. There was a pretty thick layer of algae covered leaves down there. I shoveled them out of the shallow end and refilled. So, I can only assume the deep end is the same or worse. Do I shock first then vacuum or other way around? And how soon after shocking or using yellow out should I vac?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Thick algae covered layer of leaves

I would vacuum and net as much leaves and debris out of the deep end as possible then test the water and shock based on those results.
    210k gallon pool, IG Plaster, (2) marathon 7.5 hp motors, (6) Triton sand filters, Test Kit Guardex 4-in-1 Plus DPD & Taylor K-2006, Baby pool 6in deep round with stand alone sand filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Get as much as you possibly can out of the pool before you start SLAMing. Piles of leaves give algae places to high from the chlorine, and it becomes almost impossible to clear up the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

This may be related to why your pump won't prime. Have you opened the pump and felt inside where the impeller is to see if it is clogged with leaves?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I haven't checked the impeller. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to take that apart. I can usually figure out how to take things apart, but can almost never get them back together!

6. Back To Top    #6

I hear you on finding it much easier to take things apart than to put them back together. Kind of like many things in life!

One suggestion on the putting things back together conundrum: use your phone and take lots of pictures of things as you take them apart, or better yet video with your own commentary to yourself. Comes in very handy when it's time to reassemble!

There are also a number of helpful videos on most anything like this on Youtube. Watch a few of them and the inner workings of even unfamiliar things like pool pumps start to make sense.
    25,000 gallon, vinyl IG, Pentair Superflo 1 HP Dual Speed pump, Hayward S-240 sand filter, SWG, Raypak M206A heater, Polaris Pool Cleaner 280