Pump recommendation help

Sep 25, 2012
Dunedin, FL
Hi, I was considering a new Hayward VS superpump but, talking with pool store (I know...) they did NOT recommend it for my pool.
Do I need to scale up to a real pump? (3hp Pentair VS)
Here are the details:

Approx 11,000gal pool including small spa spillover (4 jets)
Single story solar but, 8 (4x8) panels with about 30ft run length total

Today, I have Hayward Superpump 1hp which works OK

Piping-
2" skimmer 30ft length and another 2" intake split between spa and main drain (20 and 30ft)
1 1/2 pump inlet on superpump to filter

2"solar

4 jets (30ft) and 2- pool return (20ft and 40ft) all 1 1/2" pvc.
They said I would be sorry if I undersize with the water features?
Im asking for your expert opinions!
Thanks!

I tried to size pump to match existing flow rates but, am I missing something before an expensive purchase?

That VS would be similar to your existing pump running on full speed. So if your current one has enough flow for you, it would be fine.

But... It will not integrate into automation systems to automatically switch speeds for your solar. Are you sure a simple 2 speed motor would not make sense?

What is the cost of your power?

Your rate likely makes a VS worth it, but depends how your solar is controlled. Solar works best at high flow rates, so with the VS you mentioned you would likely have to run on high speed to match your existing pump.

Is the flow adequate now?

How is your solar controlled?
Honestly, I am just not sure how well the new smaller VS pumps will work for a solar setup. Their speeds can not be changed by an external controller. Or if you are selecting the solar manually, I am not sure how easy it is to run on high speed for solar one day and then run on low speed without solar the next if it is cloudy/rainy. Seems like you might be having the change the speed and timing control constantly.

OR set Speed 2 as your solar speed that you manually select each day when you turn the solar on and let the Speed 1 & 3 run when you do not need solar.

If it were me, I would certainly want my solar valve automated and thus would want the speed to be controlled as well.

I agree with Jason, if only these new low end variable speed pumps had some external switch connection to let you switch from speed 1 to speed 2 like a common 2 speed pump has they would be great, but since speed can only be changed by the panel or the internal timer I have to wonder about their usefulness, maybe they will fix this oversight (crippling?) in their next version. Even with your high electric rates I would be temped to suggest a conventional 2 speed pump sized correctly for your solar panels and head pressure due to its simpler install and lower initial cost. ( I picked a 2 speed 1.5HP Jandy Flo-Pro to replace my 1 speed 1.5 HP Super Pump due to its better high head performance for my solar panels, and drop in retrofit included spacer, If I had it to do again I would probably go with a Pentair Whisperflo 2 speed )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.