Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do tiny bits of algae forming on pool mean I need to slam the pool agian?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do tiny bits of algae forming on pool mean I need to slam the pool agian?

We have been dealing with reoccurring algae for three years now. I discovered this site and slammed the pool last week. Will all tests met, we allowed the FC to lower to normal levels. I have been checking closely daily for algae growth and discovered several tiny new green spots. Does this mean I need to slam again or should I expect a very small amount of this?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do tiny bits of algae forming on pool mean I need to slam the pool agian?

I would go through another Slam. If algae keeps recurring, you might want to maintain a higher fc/cya percent. I go to 15 % for a week or two if there is persistent recurring algae, especially mustard algae.

3. Back To Top    #3

Do tiny bits of algae forming on pool mean I need to slam the pool agian?

Welcome to TFP !
    If your having algae return after the SLAM you either haven't finished the SLAM to all three criteria were met or your FC level is out of range for your CYA level.
    Could you post up a full set of test results and what test kit you used to get the results. If our not using one of these Test Kits I highly reccommend getting yourself one. It's the right tool for keeping your water chemistry in line.
    If you haven't already take sometime to do some reading in pool school. Here are few good articles to start with.
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Levels
    Any more questions you may have don't hesitate to ask. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!

Do you have a set of removable steps? Or a light in a niche? If yes, remove them and clean them out. Those can harbor enough crud that can aid in recurring algae problems.

To help us help you better, please add your pool and equipment to your signature, as outlined here.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Additonally what chemical are you using to specifically fight the algae? Are you using a chlorine free shock or shock with chlorine?
    210k gallon pool, IG Plaster, (2) marathon 7.5 hp motors, (6) Triton sand filters, Test Kit Guardex 4-in-1 Plus DPD & Taylor K-2006, Baby pool 6in deep round with stand alone sand filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

You can also consider improving the circulation in the areas that are getting algae by adjusting the returns (if possible).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"