Power Off Pool to Backwash??

Hey Everyone,

Ok, I've suddenly become responsible (long awful story) for a green swamp. I was told by my dad that I need to shut off the power to the pool to backwash. Is this really correct? It seems strange to me somehow because I'm wondering how it will pump with no electricity?? Is my thinking off here? Could anyone please give me a heads up?

Just some details about pool. Sorry I don't have much. I've just started learning all this today.
In-ground
Gunite
Has a deep-end
Uses sand filter

My dad started bringing it back up about a week ago. It was uncovered and not tended all winter (like usual), so it's not black anymore but it's still emerald green. He's not a resource. I have to do this all on my own. I did manage to ask him about 3 questions (when to backwash, how to backwash, if we had chlorine) but that's it he's angry from the questions now, so I can't ask him anymore... so I'd really appreciate anything anyone can throw my way.

Thanks

What he means is, Don't move the backwash valve while the pump is running. You'll blow the seals.

Shut the pump off, move the valve to backwash, turn the pump back on. Shut the pump off, move the valve back to normal, turn the pump back on. With your sand filter, there may be a rinse cycle in there; it sort of depends on what type of backwash valve you have; multiport or slide. Just remember to shut the pump off any time you're moving any valves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.