Odd Liner Fade (GLI Designer 28mil)

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
I opened the pool this weekend to crystal clear water. Just a quick manual/robot clean and good to go. Water parameters spot, including chlorine due to running SWG with cover on for past several weeks.

One odd thing I saw was a noticeable fade on liner between panels that transition from bottom to vertical (see below):

This is consistent from this seam all around the pool and up walls. Any ideas of what could cause this? I plan to call GLI this week to see as I no longer have a PB (out of business).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ted

100% sure it is fading. The discoloration begins at seam on horizontal surface, then goes all the way up the vertical sides of the pool. Consistently from this seam, up all across the pool. While from the same horizontal seam all the way across the bottom of the pool, all is not faded (darker).

- - - Updated - - -

Focus on the color/shade difference between the left arrow (lighter) and the right arrow (darker). This is from the seam and up, all the way around the pool.

GLI is indicating this to not be a vinyl defect, but rather a potential chemical issue. Now my question is, how could it be different exactly from seam up, but all good from seam across bottom? Wouldn't chemical produce equal fading on all parts under water? I am beginning to think a vinyl liner warranty is similar to a mattress warranty.... :eek:\

The 6 year old liner in my above ground pool is doing the same thing. Except the middle panel is fading and the rest of it is a darker color. The dying process varied slightly on the different rolls of vinyl.

How old is the liner?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was installed October of 2011, so just over 2.5 years, well within the 100% replacement period for GLI. They insulted me with an offer for my trouble of a liner for $999 shipped. How nice of them! I am pushing harder.

If any pool builders / dealers could comment, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

I was finally successful in pleading my case to GLI. They are replacing under warranty.

Question for the Pool Builders out there - If I get this liner now, keep in box and store inside, how long can I keep without it degrading? Could I wait a few years, or ??

Thanks!

Ted

I can see where your coming from... but companies shouldn't offer the warranties if they won't stand behind their product and honor them. A lot of folks, myself included, lean towards a company does that stand behind their product (and few exist). I couldn't see sitting on the liner for a few years personally, but as you said replacing at the end of the season for logistical reasons. That said, if the companies do offer replacements without proof of damage, at the end of the day if the person wants to use it as a really expensive tarp, it's their prerogative. When you pay for something you expect a certain level of use out of it before it has to be replaced. These days in our "throw it away and buy a new one society", quality products are few and far between. Especially considering the cost for said products. The old saying of "you get what you pay for" is not always true these days.

Update: Finally getting around to installing new liner. Here is a picture of the liner as of now. It is really bad.

My new liner is much darker and hoping I don't run into a similar problem. Is there anything I need to focus on that may contribute? I use Simple Pool Pro and follow TFP parameters and use Borates, but usually only 30ppm.

Thanks!

Ted

Attachments

• liner1.jpg
    liner1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 27
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.