Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Odd Liner Fade (GLI Designer 28mil)

1. Back To Top    #1

Odd Liner Fade (GLI Designer 28mil)

I opened the pool this weekend to crystal clear water. Just a quick manual/robot clean and good to go. Water parameters spot, including chlorine due to running SWG with cover on for past several weeks.

One odd thing I saw was a noticeable fade on liner between panels that transition from bottom to vertical (see below):

This is consistent from this seam all around the pool and up walls. Any ideas of what could cause this? I plan to call GLI this week to see as I no longer have a PB (out of business).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Ted

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Odd Liner Fade (GLI Designer 28mil)

That's odd...it almost looks like the vinyl came of different rolls and one side is tougher than the other? Hopefully the liner manufacturer will be able/willing to help you.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I hope so also. Struggling as my PB is out of business and GLI cannot located order. I was never given anything from PB.

Anyone have experience with GLI or other on fading under 3 years and what to expect?

4. Back To Top    #4

Anyone deal with warranty repair with success?

5. Back To Top    #5

This might be ignorant but are you sure that is fading? And not some type of metal staining?
    Its hard to tell but from the pic, that almost looks like iron staining to me...
    18x38 Inground Liner (25k gal) Paver surround, multi-speed pump, DE Filter, Raised spill over spa, TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what mitch08 says. That's not a good pic but looks like iron to me. It could also be excessive wear from an auto-vac....just can't see it well enough.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

100% sure it is fading. The discoloration begins at seam on horizontal surface, then goes all the way up the vertical sides of the pool. Consistently from this seam, up all across the pool. While from the same horizontal seam all the way across the bottom of the pool, all is not faded (darker).

- - - Updated - - -

Focus on the color/shade difference between the left arrow (lighter) and the right arrow (darker). This is from the seam and up, all the way around the pool.

8. Back To Top    #8

GLI is indicating this to not be a vinyl defect, but rather a potential chemical issue. Now my question is, how could it be different exactly from seam up, but all good from seam across bottom? Wouldn't chemical produce equal fading on all parts under water? I am beginning to think a vinyl liner warranty is similar to a mattress warranty.... \

9. Back To Top    #9

That's a load of you-know-what.

11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

10. Back To Top    #10

The 6 year old liner in my above ground pool is doing the same thing. Except the middle panel is fading and the rest of it is a darker color. The dying process varied slightly on the different rolls of vinyl.

How old is the liner?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

It was installed October of 2011, so just over 2.5 years, well within the 100% replacement period for GLI. They insulted me with an offer for my trouble of a liner for $999 shipped. How nice of them! I am pushing harder.

If any pool builders / dealers could comment, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks!

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow! Sorry your having that trouble. I swear liner companies are worse than used car dealers

13. Back To Top    #13

I was finally successful in pleading my case to GLI. They are replacing under warranty.

Question for the Pool Builders out there - If I get this liner now, keep in box and store inside, how long can I keep without it degrading? Could I wait a few years, or ??

Thanks!

Ted

14. Back To Top    #14

Inappropriate post removed.
    Last edited by JasonLion; 07-10-2014 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Politeness

15. Back To Top    #15

I can see where your coming from... but companies shouldn't offer the warranties if they won't stand behind their product and honor them. A lot of folks, myself included, lean towards a company does that stand behind their product (and few exist). I couldn't see sitting on the liner for a few years personally, but as you said replacing at the end of the season for logistical reasons. That said, if the companies do offer replacements without proof of damage, at the end of the day if the person wants to use it as a really expensive tarp, it's their prerogative. When you pay for something you expect a certain level of use out of it before it has to be replaced. These days in our "throw it away and buy a new one society", quality products are few and far between. Especially considering the cost for said products. The old saying of "you get what you pay for" is not always true these days.
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

16. Back To Top    #16

X2...

Inappropriate post removed.
    Last edited by JasonLion; 07-10-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Politeness
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool

17. Back To Top    #17

Dennisp, I tried to send you a pm but it said you can't receive them.
    18' x 36' saltwater inground vinyl pool