Filter problem?

Jun 7, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Greetings!

Well, it's that time of the year again and I have opened my pool. Once again pool was a swamp but I now have the water a smokey blue color. I am not sure if I have a problem or not so I came here to you guys. What is happening is when I first opened it i was having to backwash every 30min once the water became a cloudy green color the filter just stopped riding in pressure. I pulled off the valve and took a look inside. Inside the water was brown and I couldn't even see a few inches deep. I grabbed my hoses and started a deep cleanse mixing the sand and getting my arm down in the sand and moving it around. Lots of nasty stuff was coming out. I did this until the water was somewhat clear inside. Put it all back together and started it back up. Pressure seemed to be rising again but then just stopped. It has now been 3 or 4 days and my pressure is not rising at all nor is the clarity of the water. It is still the same cloudy blue. I can see just below the bottom step which is a huge improvement but it doesn't seem like it's clearing up any more than what it is. I bought a new pressure gauge for it and still the same result. Right now I am losing 1ppm on my ocl test and have 1.5CC so I am getting close, but I am not sur eif I have a problem with my filter or if I shuold just give it more time. I am thinking I may pop the top off and give it a real good deep cleanse.

You guys have any input or ideas?

JasonLion, Yes i thought so also, but it isn't. I used to have two gate valves for the skimmer and floor. Two years ago i replaced them with ball valves. Have not had any problems with valves. If I close skimmer valve, I will lose prime for a couple but then I get full prime. Same with closing floor valve. It was obviously working since it was a green swamp last weekend and this weekend it is a cloudy blue. I just don't understand why my pressure isn't rising. I replaced my spder gasket last year because it was worn down. It was actually a whole assembly since my filter valve doesn't use just the gasket. The filter valve itself is one where you have to push then turn, and I haven't had any issues with that besides the gasket from last year.

A bad spider gasket can allow water to bypass the filter, but given what you said that seems very unlikely at this point.

Perhaps it is time to post a full set of water test results, so we can see if there are any clues there.

A little update. I believe my issue is just a dirty sand filter. After pulling off my multi-port valve I saw that there was debris all over the sand bed. I tried removing as much as I could without removing too much sand. After removing all the debris I started my deep cleanse. Let's just say after 10 or 15min. of running my hose into the filter the water is still brown and very dirty. Once I let the area drain a little I will perform another until the water runs clear. I believe my filter is just too dirty and is unable to filter properly at this point. I'll give an update.

Update. My filter was dirty. I had to go through 4 or 5 before the water was running clear. Thought i was good to go. Let it run over night and while I went to work. Came home from work and the pressure dropped from 14 to 5psi! Didn't have time to mess with it so I shut it down and started on it today. Opened up the pump and there was debris inside my impeller. Cleaned that out and pressure was back up to normal. Went ahead and brought it back up to shock level and brushed the pool. After brushing there was no change in pressure. I stood there looking for a moment and noticed the floor drain was closed. I opened it up and immediately the water went from clear to a deep green and pressure started to climb. It's been maybe 20 min and my pressure has raised 6psi! So, looks like the pump and filter are working as they should.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.