Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt to a pool.

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt to a pool.

Hello,
    Last year I added salt to a non Swg pool for a better feel. The thing is, I can't find where I found the info on how much to add safely without test strips for swg. I do not know much about swg systems but I assume it needs to be added regular so last years salt is long gone.
    BTW, I use the bbb method.
    24X4 round vinyl liner 160 jacuzzi sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding salt to a pool.

Much of last years salt should still be around. If you didn't winterize then nearly all of it will still be there. While, if you did winterize you will have lost some due to water replacement. The only way to know how much to add is to get a salt test result.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Salt doesnt eveporate along with water. Draining water from the pool is the only way to lower the salt level.
    DIfferent makes and models of SWG's require different level of salt, but usually somewhere between 3000 and 4000 ppm is about average.

To use salt just for a better feel, you probably dont need so much as a SWG does, but how something "feels" is subjective, so maybe you do.
    Measure your salt level then use Pool Math to determine how much you need to add in order to get to whatever level it is you
    want to be at.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

This is one of the very rare occasions I'd say, "Take it to the pool store and have them test it." You don't need to buy a salt test kit to test once a year. Don't tell them you don't have a SWG, just let them test it all and give you the report. Maybe buy some toys. Don't let them sell you any chemicals. Come home, plug that salt number into poolmath, and let it crunch it and tell you how much to add. For feel, you don't need to be exact.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you all for the help. I may take a trip after all. First ever BTW!
    24X4 round vinyl liner 160 jacuzzi sand filter