New to SWG. Questions about Intex Krystal Clear and balancing.

Oct 11, 2012
South Carolina
So the long and short is I just don't have the time to devote to the BBB method to do it in the way that I needs to be done, daily. The result being I have periodic algae blooms and end up wasting a lot of time and money on getting things back into balance.

So this year I decided to give SWG a whirl. The attractiveness being less money being spent on bleach and not having to deal with the testing/adjusting daily.

Anyone have any experience with the Intex Krystal Clear SWG for 15000 gallon? I'm having a ***** of a time getting it setup. I think I have to order an additional adapter part to get it setup with my pool but I'm confident I'll get it licked this week..

Currently I'm SLAMing to get my swamp cleaned up (left over winter without chems or cover...long story) but I'm trying to get things balanced up as I go.

So far I've been adding stabilizer to bring my CYA up to the high level needed for SWG. I added the salt yesterday...around 360lbs.

My measurements before I started were as follows:

FC: 0
TA: 60
CH: 70 (vinyl)
PH: 6.8
CYA: <30

I guess my questions are how to best approach my next steps. I very stupidly continued SLAMing at the old values I needed (12 FC because CYA was <20) since then I've added stabilizer so I need to shock at a much higher level (FC 28) which I plan to start tomorrow. I literally spent a day dumbfounded as to why it wasn't improving before I remembered the CYA change. I've added stabilizer to bump it to 70 but it hasn't quite been a week so I haven't tested again.
Assuming I get this thing cleared up what's my next step? Getting PH up? I feel like I read somewhere that the PH being low would help the SLAM process but I might be misremembering. I guess if I had it to do again I should have done the CYA last since it would have saved me on how much bleach I need.

Does TA matter much? I figure since I've added salt that it pretty much takes care of itself. I'd like to get around to adding borates later this year.

As for CH. Previously I didn't need to worry about it since I have a vinyl liner but I assume it will cause deposits on the cells if it's too high, right?

Back to the Intex SWG. It had really really good reviews on Amazon and has a two year warranty on the cells. I figure if it lasts two or three years I got my money's worth ($120). A lot of people reported it lasting in upwards of 4-6 years. Anyone with experience with this unit on a larger AGP?

Your TA and CH are fine, but do get the PH raised to at least 7.2. The common PH test reports anything below 6.8 as 6.8, so your actual PH might be quite low.

The reviews of the Intex SWG on the forum are almost all very positive. It doesn't tend to last nearly as long on a large pool as it would on a smaller pool, but is still worth the investment.

Ok started shocking at the higher level today estimating my CYA at 80 which according to the chart is FC @ 28. I most recently added stabilizer two days ago so on a whim I tested to see where it was at. It obscurred the dot long before it got to the 100 mark.

Im pretty puzzled at this point as I didn't even quite add enough to get it to 80 according to poolmath.

Is there a chance that the test is just reading off because im in the middle of shocking and had recently added stabilizer??

This is discouraging as that means my shock levels are astronomical and a partial drain means I'll probably have to add more salt. This is getting really frustrating. Meanwhile I haven't really noticed any improvements from the dull green that it has been all day.

If anything the CYA test would read lower than actual, especially if you added CYA in the last two days.

Have you tried an overnight FC loss test? That will tell you if you are still working on killing everything off, or it is mostly a question of filtering.

If anything the CYA test would read lower than actual, especially if you added CYA in the last two days.

Have you tried an overnight FC loss test? That will tell you if you are still working on killing everything off, or it is mostly a question of filtering.

Well today when I tested after a shock it didn't show any FC but I'm also using a DPD test as I haven't gotten a DAP kit added to my Leslie kit. Guess I need to do that ASAP.

I think it might be an issue of filtering but in the past the green has always kind of whited out when I finally got the algae killed off. It hasn't changed much today. If my CYA is all jacked up though then I guess that's why.

One thing I didn't think about is that I used a couple dichlor shock bags the other day. (I know bad idea probably)but I had gotten a bunch from a friend who have em away. I know dichlor can add to cya but would it really be that much?

One other thing. The water is kind of foamy since I started the SWG up today. Is that normal when it's "boosting?"

Oh! Should I go ahead and just dump the rest of the bleach I got today just to over chlorinate it overnight? I don't imagine it could hurt much. I bought 10.5 gallons today figuring needing 3.5 to get it to shock level each time. I figured 3 big doses would take care of it plus having the SWG running. I guess if my CYA is way high then I need to be dosing higher. Ugh this thing has been such a headache. I added about 2/3 what pool math called for in stabilizer to get up to 80 and here I am out in left field.

I've probably spent $100 in bleach the past week trying to get this thing cleared up. Wife's on my casing wanting to know when it'll be ready.

Some of my issue when I started was there were still some leaves that missed (can't see the bottom so I've been scooping blindly.). I know that probably used up a lot of chlorine. I went over it again real good today and didn't find many more.

A comment on the 'not having time to test'... I discovered the hard way it takes a LOT more time to clear up an algae bloom than it does to test the water every day or at least every 2 or 3 days.

Oh I definitely agree. This problem is the result of lack of attention over winter. However, testing and adding bleach everyday the best I ever did was about twice a week. Which was fine for the last two summers but the occasional outbreak was just a was inevitable and a PITA. Im hoping the SWG allows me to be a little slack to where one or two times a week is sufficient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.