New owner/builder in Las Vegas

sgtolv

Mar 1, 2014
Las Vegas
Build started a few weeks ago and I'm just now figuring out how to post and attach pictures. Huge shout out to we_like_it_hot and jmpoling for letting me ask hundreds of questions and sharing sub contractor info. I got quotes of around $80,000 for the build from a few different pool builders and figured maybe I could give it a try myself and save a few bucks similar to buying a car and bypassing the dealership. The dig started 3 weeks ago and I should have my first inspection on Tuesday. Fingers are crossed that I pass. I may not know what I'm doing but at least the subs do...
9etedasa.jpg
y3uze5aj.jpg
gutezeqy.jpg
myna9e9y.jpg
uvabumuz.jpg
gygysate.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! This is going to be a great read! Welcome to TFP and post lots of pics! :mrgreen: Good Luck!!! Hope you pass inspection!!! :goodjob:

Have you picked out equipment? How deep?

Yes I went with a Pentair setup. Easytouch with Intellichlor 40, clean and clear 520, MasterTemp 400 HD and 2 variable speed 3 HP pumps. Also went with a paramount infloor cleaning system because in the big picture I felt the added cost was minimal. Here are a few more pics...
apyharaq.jpg
uvyqaty3.jpg
je3edyga.jpg

Wet deck with LED bubblers
be7a7y7y.jpg

Elevated Spa with negative edge
taru7egy.jpg

While the excavator was there I had them dig the trampoline hole. There's a little more work for me to do on it
e7eva8yg.jpg

And the best part...no rear neighbors!
renuhuvy.jpg

Failed the first inspection because of an issue of not enough steel around the lights and an electrical bonding wire not around the perimeter of the pool. Both issues are fixed and I passed inspection today. Shotcrete is scheduled for next Thursday. The skeleton of the waterfall/slide is up
evu8are7.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not quite...it seems as if it's taking forever. The rock work texture went on today and the color will go on Monday. So far I think they've done a great job
be4yrehu.jpg

The stacked stone we picked out for the raised bond beam and spa
usabupa7.jpg

Hi sgtolv,
Your project is really looking GREAT! You and the family will be enjoying the refreshing water soon I’m sure. Plus, the satisfaction of being an owner builder and the cash you saved.

Totally appreciate your shout out sent our way. It was very nice meeting you both and I’m sure you’ll be just as helpful to anyone asking for assistance in the future. Let’s not forget jmpoling, too. Another helpful source here in the Las Vegas area.​

Mistakes of a rookie pool builder: The plan was to have stacked stone on the face of the spa. I found out this week that I had the Gunite crew cut the negative edge on the spa spillover the wrong direction. As a result the tile guy said I can't have stacked stone and my only option is to tile it. I've chosen 1x1 glass tiles that won't look terrible but I would have preferred the stacked stone

uzysaquv.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.