just opened fishy smell

Ok first time I am opening a pool. I was going off previous homeowners instructions but have some issues

Took off cover and water was semi green but mostly clear. It did have a bit of tree debris from the previous fall

Got all the equipment set up. It all worked fine. Installed new nature2 cart and fired up pump and filter added de and then added shock. Tested it and had:
Fc - 3ppm
TC - 3ppm
Ch - 170
Cya - 0
Ta - 90
Ph - 8.0
Pho - 100

I added calcium to bring up ch. I also added a little algacide. After running for 8 hrs. Debris in water has significantly reduced but water is now cloudy and has afishy smell. Also filter went up about 10 psi. Should I syop and backwash? How to get rid of fish smell? Also on a few areas there is brown stain onplaster which scrubbing did not take off

Any help is greatly appreciated

Adjust your PH down to around 7.5, and start raising the CYA level, once those are complete follow the how to SLAM your pool instructions in Pool School's How To section. That will take care of the smell and the water quality.

By the by, we recommend not using Nature2 cartridges. They don't help enough to notice and can occasionally cause unsightly stains.

Definitely rid yourself of the unneeded expense of the N2 as it does nothing for the water except add metals which ultimately stain your pool. :( Those brown stains *could* be metal staining which we can help you with once your SLAM is complete. :goodjob:

Ok I read the slam how to. Going to start it tomorrow after I pick up as much bleach from bjs as I can. I have a test kit from leslies I also have strips. If I get rid of the nature2 what should I put in its place I think I would have to replace the pipe there if I took out the cartridge?

- - - Updated - - -

I'll also backwash in the am. I am sure it is pretty dirty given all thhe debris that was in the pool

I'm not sure what's all included in your test kit from Leslie's but the strips are unreliable and should be thrown out. If you can't throw them out, give them away.

What we recommend here at TFP is the TF100 and the K2006 test kits which you can take a look at here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

These test kits are the best test kits on the market and every pool owner should have one. It is the only test kit that will get you through a SLAM to the very end when you complete the OCLT. :goodjob: You will be able to count FC up to 50ppm and read CC's. You can not do that with any other kit and most pool stores can't either. If you want to take 100% control of your pool, ordering one is the way to go! The TF100 gets you more regents than the K2006. If you were to ask, that's the one I'd recommend to you. :cool:

I have a nature2 cartridge that came with my pool and just take out the cartridge and leave the canister empty. Some newer models may not let the flow through without the cartridge in as what I have heard.

By the by, we recommend not using Nature2 cartridges. They don't help enough to notice and can occasionally cause unsightly stains.

Definitely rid yourself of the unneeded expense of the N2 as it does nothing for the water except add metals which ultimately stain your pool. :( Those brown stains *could* be metal staining which we can help you with once your SLAM is complete. :goodjob:

Not trying to Hijack this thread but THANK YOU TFP!!!!! I think I am a witness to problems caused by Nature2 cartridges. I hadn't heard of one until I poked my nose in this thread and decided to google it.

Side note: Maybe pictures of Nature2 cartridges can be included in the Pool School Visual Encyclopedia

kappadoce, listen to the experts here. They won't steer you wrong. I know I am going to get rid of my Nature2.....somehow

OK, so I have not added ANYTHING to my pool for the last 2 days, while I was awaiting my new TF-100 Test Kit. I just gave it a test and have the following results:

TC - 0
PH - 7.1
CYA - 25
CH - 300
TA - 70

I have 9x 121oz jugs of 8.25% bleach ready to go. Most of the debris is out of my pool, a few helicopters floating around. Below are a few pictures of my pool in its current status:

So, I am looking for help on what my next move should be. I know I need to add bleach, but how much? How do the rest of my results look??? On one of the pictures, you will notice some brown stains on the step, I am fairly certain that these are stains from leaves over the winter, i tried brushing but it wont come off. Thanks for the help, and thanks for the test kit.

Regards

Attachments

• pool1.jpg
    pool1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 70

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If CYA is 25, SLAM is 10. To go from 0 to 10 in a pool your size will take 377 oz of 8.25% bleach. 3.1 jugs. I'd dump in three and a half. You can get close enough eyeballing that.

Run the brush around, check it again in an hour or two. Plug that value into the NOW column of Poolmath and 10 as the target, and it will tell how much. Don't forget to put your pool size in the first box! Brush again, take a look at the filter pressure, then go reread the SLAM instructions again. They'll probably make more sense once you start doing.

Organic staining should fade in a few weeks with the chlorine in there. Wory about all that other stuff later. For now, you want to pass the three tests and end the SLAM.

OK - Have had the pump/ filter on all day. After adding 3.5 jugs of 121 oz 8.25% bleach and running for a couple hours, my results, using TF-100 were:

PH - 7.1
TC - 1
CYA - 25
CH - 300
TA - 70
FC - 1

I feel like i need much more chlorine.... Water is looking pretty good, i will take another pic in the morning

OK - Have had the pump/ filter on all day. After adding 3.5 jugs of 121 oz 8.25% bleach and running for a couple hours, my results, using TF-100 were:

PH - 7.1
TC - 1
CYA - 25
CH - 300
TA - 70
FC - 1

I feel like i need much more chlorine.... Water is looking pretty good, i will take another pic in the morning
Yes you do... minimum FC for your CYA is 2, and you're below that. And the CC is still over .5, so you can't end the SLAM yet.

attachment.php

You're getting good advice! Keep the SLAM up and when the CC is .5pp or less, do an OCLT as outlined here :lookhere: Overnight FC Loss Test. If you fail, keep SLAM'ing. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.