Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Manual pool vacuum recommendations

1. Back To Top    #1

Manual pool vacuum recommendations

I have a Polaris 9300 robot that is in the shop. (FYI: apparently, you are not supposed to use the robot to get the fine particles off the bottom - it is for maintaining your pool only. Seems ridiculous to me to spend all that money...)

As a backup I may purchase a manual vacuum that goes through my filter pump. I have a 21000 gal gunite pool with Hayward cartridge filter. I have no idea how to isolate one of our 2 filter baskets but I can ask that later if I get a manual vac.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.
    Traci

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Manual pool vacuum recommendations

I like the pro versions, like this one. The pro version has a wider head, so fewer passes to get the entire pool. They are a little heavier to handle, but not too bad. You will also need a pole and a hose.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I like the pro versions, like this one. The pro version has a wider head, so fewer passes to get the entire pool. They are a little heavier to handle, but not too bad. You will also need a pole and a hose.
    I got a similar-looking pro version when the freebie that came with the pool started falling apart. It's worked great for five or six years now. I don't have a cleaner--I prefer the old way. Store it out of the sun and indoors in winter. I was tempted by this 24" puppy below, but at $235 it was over budget.

DESIGNED TO PERFORM ON LOW FLOW SUCTION.

An exclusive chamber increases vacuum velocity and pulls debris equally from both ends, as well as front and back.

Adjustable wheels can increase and decrease suction and special strips guide debris into the suction chamber. The vacuum head is built with “short leg” strips for leaves and large debris. Suitable for vacuuming sand, silt and other fine debris.

Fits both 1-1/2-inch and 2-inch vac hoses.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

DANG Durk! I could clean my pool with that in 4 swipes! Too bad I couldn't get one for my above ground pool!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for your recommendations.

6. Back To Top    #6

That thing looks like something that fell off the space station.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

I flocked my pool because it was cloudy so I flocked it. Chlorine total 15, salt 380, temp 65, Ph 7.3. My pool cleared up the next day and a collection of stuff was on the bottom. So, after seeing that my robot only stirs it up, I bough a manual vac. So, I looked at the threads and numerous You tubes and could not get it to work.

There is one skimmer, has a jacuzzi, with no skimmer, just a drain. I opened the skimmer top, there are two holes. I filled the tubing with water, placed it into the hole furthest away from the pool. Turned on the pump, nothing happens. I gave up. I was wondering, my pool has a jet for the booster pump, which I no longer use; is that causing the problem?