Pentiar Challenger CFII-N1-1 1/2A Not Pumping

May 11, 2014
Niskayuna, NY
OK...First time Pool DIY'er and I failed to open the return line. Doh! Discovered all kinds of water flowing out of pump. I quickly opened the valve realizing my error ,but water continued to leak slightly from bottom of pump where it meets the motor (damage is done). After 24 hours for super-chlorinating and while I was vacuuming the pool, the Pentair Challenger 1.5 hp pump lost suction. It is about 8 yrs old. I cleaned the Pentair FNS PLus 48 Filter. I cant get water to flow. the pump sounds like its on...but I can't get it primed.

What is the first thing to check? Im thinking of attempting to repair my self...not sure what to look for. Do I replace all seals? And how do I detach the pump? do I need to cut piping?

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• Pool_pump.jpg
    Pool_pump.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 14
  • pump compressed file.jpg
    pump compressed file.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 14
Failing to prime usually means a suction side air leak of some kind, probably at the same place that water is leaking out when it is off.

You will need to cut pipe to get the pump out. The plumbing has fittings close to the pump, so it is going to be a little tricky getting the new pump plumbed in.

I figured it out! I was able to repair using this forum and a little hlpe form the following you tube video showing how to replace Pentair challenger seals. link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Yz9k6bmLk . I only managed to damage the seal plate in the process, so unfortunately my repair cost ended up being ~$119 versus $50.

Thanks all.

14400 gal,, Vinyl, Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP, Pentair FLS 48 DE Filter, Kreepy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.