New Pool first fill, leak!

Apr 18, 2014
Los Angeles USA
My husband and I were meticulous in the ground prep for our new pool. We have put down a tarp and two Gorilla pads. We have filled the pool to just a little past the drain valve - found a leak there, my husband tightened the valve and the leak stopped. I decided to check around the bottom of the pool, just putting my fingers under the pool, along the edge --- and darn if I didn't find a wet spot close to one of the legs. There is a seam in that area and I suspect there must be a tiny leak. I have the patch kit and under-water adhesive. We would not need to hold our breath to apply a patch - but it will be a guessing game as to where the leak is. Should I start by just gluing the seam to the pool liner - it looks like it is open a bit, or should I put a larger patch to the corner area? All ideas are welcome.

I would suggest getting in the pool, on your hands and knees and visually inspect the seams. If you find a leak, patch it, #1 with a patch. #2 with a second patch a little bigger than the first. #3 with a third patch bigger than the second. Make sure you round all the corners of the patch so it doesn't lift. Good luck finding it. :goodjob:

So, I thought I would check for leaks by running my fingers under the edge of the pool, while it was filling. Doggone if I didn’t find one! To verify the leak, Mark injected Mio Energy Liquid Water Enhancer, Black Cherry, along the seam - since we didn’t have any food coloring on hand. It showed up on the paper towel I held under the bottom edge of the pool. Luckily we stopped by Leslie’s Pool Supply, earlier today and purchased a patch kit with underwater adhesive, which solved the problem.

I have an Intex and every year when I put it up, one of the seems leaks. Once the pool is full, I put on a snorkel and goggles and just run my finger along all of the seems and press them down. The water pressure alone always stops my leak. I have no idea where the leak is, but it appears to be one of the seems. I know this isn't a long-term solution, but it works every year for me.

Just throwing my $0.02 out there.

Good luck with it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.