Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool first fill, leak!

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool first fill, leak!

My husband and I were meticulous in the ground prep for our new pool. We have put down a tarp and two Gorilla pads. We have filled the pool to just a little past the drain valve - found a leak there, my husband tightened the valve and the leak stopped. I decided to check around the bottom of the pool, just putting my fingers under the pool, along the edge --- and darn if I didn't find a wet spot close to one of the legs. There is a seam in that area and I suspect there must be a tiny leak. I have the patch kit and under-water adhesive. We would not need to hold our breath to apply a patch - but it will be a guessing game as to where the leak is. Should I start by just gluing the seam to the pool liner - it looks like it is open a bit, or should I put a larger patch to the corner area? All ideas are welcome.
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool first fill, leak!

I would suggest getting in the pool, on your hands and knees and visually inspect the seams. If you find a leak, patch it, #1 with a patch. #2 with a second patch a little bigger than the first. #3 with a third patch bigger than the second. Make sure you round all the corners of the patch so it doesn't lift. Good luck finding it.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

So, I thought I would check for leaks by running my fingers under the edge of the pool, while it was filling. Doggone if I didn’t find one! To verify the leak, Mark injected Mio Energy Liquid Water Enhancer, Black Cherry, along the seam - since we didn’t have any food coloring on hand. It showed up on the paper towel I held under the bottom edge of the pool. Luckily we stopped by Leslie’s Pool Supply, earlier today and purchased a patch kit with underwater adhesive, which solved the problem.
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an Intex and every year when I put it up, one of the seems leaks. Once the pool is full, I put on a snorkel and goggles and just run my finger along all of the seems and press them down. The water pressure alone always stops my leak. I have no idea where the leak is, but it appears to be one of the seems. I know this isn't a long-term solution, but it works every year for me.

Just throwing my $0.02 out there.

Good luck with it!
    Intex 15' X 48'' Metal Frame ~5,000 gallons
    2,650 gph Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward wide mouth skimmer
    BBB and Borated