Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: where should I cut the PVC to replace pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

where should I cut the PVC to replace pump?

OK, I will be replacing my current non-fucntioning pump with a new one, and would appreciate opinions from the peanut gallery as to where to best cut the existing plumbing. I have an idea but would like to hear other opinions before marching ahead. Here are photos of the plumbing going into the existing pump.

Do you think the diagonal travel offset line would be the best place, as highlighted below?

I've done pvc plumbng work before, but not often involving a choice of locations to cut, so suggestions are warmly welcomed.

Thanks!
    25,000 gallon, vinyl IG, Pentair Superflo 1 HP Dual Speed pump, Hayward S-240 sand filter, SWG, Raypak M206A heater, Polaris Pool Cleaner 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: where should I cut the PVC to replace pump?

The section you are pointing at in picture 2 looks like it would have the most available gluing surface, though I would cut flush with the sweep elbow closest to the valves, add a union and go from there.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would cut back between the four way fitting and the first 45.

Cutting as shown in your photo probably won't allow you to get the pump in exactly the same place it is now. My suggestion will allow the pump to be in the exact same location, just with the 45 section a little closer to the 4 way fitting.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Wherever you cut, this time, install a union! You're running out of space.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

+1 what Jasonlion and Richard320 both said.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I really appreciate it!

As a relatively inexperienced PVC guy, I'm trying to understand how I could install a union between the 4 way fitting and that first 45 section, much less move the first 45 closer to the 4 way fitting. I currently have only about 2" of clear pipe showing between that 4 way and the 45 fittings, and best I can determine it looks like a union joint fitting is about 3 1/2" wide, not to mention the unknown width of the adapter fittings for the pipe ends leading into the union. Wouldn't this push the first 45 further away from the 4 way, and make it harder to keep the same pump position?

I'm probably asking a really stupid question as my PVC experience is more oriented to gluing and fitting pieces together but not planing out the layout, so I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

Would you mind elaborating in more detail of the process for this Pooh of very little brain?

Thanks again!
    25,000 gallon, vinyl IG, Pentair Superflo 1 HP Dual Speed pump, Hayward S-240 sand filter, SWG, Raypak M206A heater, Polaris Pool Cleaner 280

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I would put the union very near the pump and replace the 45's with 90's to give you more room.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

If you want a union, here is how I would do it: Start at the four way fitting, cut the pipe that is sticking out near the 45 degree fitting. Attach a new 45 degree fitting, a short section of pipe, the union, another short section of pipe, another 45, and a final short section of pipe leading to the pump.

The new 45 is closer to the four way fitting, the straight section between the two 45s has room for the union, and the pipe from the final 45 to the pump is now slightly longer than it used to be.

As always, measure several times, cut once.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

How about a stretch of some flexible PVC?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

How I would do it...
    Where-to-cut-PVC.jpg

If there is no room for union with 45's during the dry-fit, put the union in the area between the two 45's, or use 90's.
    17,100 Gal 27' x 52" AGP steel wall vinyl; 44gpm Cooper sand filter; Hayward 1hp sp1580 single-speed; 1.5" plumbing, 1 skimmer/jet, inline chlorinator.
    Chlorine / CYA Chart | SLAM Process | Chlorine cost/fl. oz calculator

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you to all who offered suggestions and opinions. Much appreciated!

I now understand I have several viable options, so I'll figure out one and adjust if needed.

Thanks again! What a great resource this site is. Once I get through this project and have a minute I'll be upgrading to a paid supporter. Totally worth it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Remember to clean all the joints and glue them. What ever you do you want it to be easier to work on the next time around. Good luck.
    210k gallon pool, IG Plaster, (2) marathon 7.5 hp motors, (6) Triton sand filters, Test Kit Guardex 4-in-1 Plus DPD & Taylor K-2006, Baby pool 6in deep round with stand alone sand filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

Just circling back to report final results and thank everyone who offered help again. I ended up going with the two 90's for simplicity's sake, and as discussed added a union near the pump to make future work easier.

Success!

photo (5).jpg

May not win any awards, but it works! (ignore my work glove lying on the 4 way)

Thanks again!

14. Back To Top    #14

No leaks = winner!

Nice job. Did you do that in the rain yesterday? Got rain and mist all day up here in our neck of the woods. Even more of an accomplishment.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

I got most of it done during lulls in the rain, or during a couple of short intervals of sprinkles!

Need to get this pump working/pool open before it warms up too much and algae starts growing!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Good job, you certainly cleaned up that section of plumbing.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor