Filter running at 40 PSI???

Feb 6, 2014
Leander, TX
Seems like ever since I disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled my DE filter it's been running at a higher PSI. What did I screw up and what are some potential solutions and/or troubleshooting tips the almighty TFP crowd might have??

Thanks in advance!!!

You can start by checking all of the valves you have. Perhaps you turned the returns off and forgot to turn them back on?

If that doesn't turn up anything, you may need to open up the filter and check that everything went back into the correct place.

Also, did you remember to let the air out of the filter after priming the pump?

Thx. I disassembled the filter. Very gunky for only a few weeks...maybe it's supposed to look like that or maybe it was from the tree pollen. In any event, I noticed the intake filter on the top of the inside was caked and indented, so perhaps that was the cause of the pressure shortage. All seems to be working well/great now...28 psi...

We shall see how it goes.

Thx again!

Definitely keep an eye on the PSI in the tank. High pressure can collapse the DE grids. While I haven't read or performed a study on what pressure is too high, I have replaced many grids from running at pressures under 40psi, especially older grids. So if you're non-friction (before you add any new DE to fully cleaned grids) starts high, check for blockages in the return system, or the filter. It's good to know what your free flowing system pressure is as a baseline, with new DE, and at full.

is there much of a output change if you bypass the filter "spa mode"? If not, there's definitely something blocking the line. If the output as felt by the jets jumps way up, I suggest disassembling, cleaning and reassembling the grids. A simple mistake in reassembly can be the culprit and the time and DE $$$ are far less the replacing a single grid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.