just had pool opened.....now what?

Just tested again:

FC 36

TA 50

CH 130

Based on the FC level, and the assumption that there would be no FC at all when we opened, it looks like he put in more like 6.25 pounds of dichlor.

Is this a valid assumption?

Based on the TA level, I need to add about 3.5 pounds of baking soda to bring TA from 50 to 70?

There's no point in testing the PH right now, because the FC is so high?

I wonder if the algaecide was really algaecide and not some sort of "yellow-out" or "green-to-clean" or miracle-snake-oil algae killer? I suppose you'll find out for sure when you test the CYA level. Hopefully, it's not astronomical. Be a shame to pay someone to open it up and then have to pay to replace a bunch of water.

And you are correct, no point in testing pH. You did use the right factor for the drops, I hope? .5 for a 10 ml sample, .2 for 25 ml. It's easy to make that mistake, since the TA test is 25 ml.

Personally, I'd fire the pool boy and take over pool maintenance myself. It's not hard at all. By reading Pool School and owning your own test kit, all you need is to make time for the pool which, 5 minutes a day could cover. Good Luck with it. :goodjob: Keep asking questions!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
so I need to add about 3.5 pounds of baking soda....

do I just sprinkle all around the pool?

another question...

I don't receive email notification of replies to my posts, even though I checked that off in the settings. How do I fix this?
Straight from the article on Recommended Pool Chemicals: "Baking soda can be added by spreading it across the surface of the deep end of the pool."

Can't help with the forum issue. I checked mine so I don't get emails every time.

Check to see if the notification of new posts message is going into your SPAM folder.

nope. nothing there either.

weird.

Anyway...pool water is crystal clear! I raised TA up to 70. pH 7.2, CC .5, FC 7.5...

CYA is assumed to be around 32...I'll test on Saturday to confirm.

The only real question I have at the moment.....my CH is 130.

Should I raise that, or can I just bring my pH up to 7.5, so the CSI is above -.6?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.