Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner with Purity % Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool owner with Purity % Question

I am a new pool owner. I built it last year and the builder maintained things the first year. Before the winter started I think he cranked my Purity % on my pool pilot pretty low. It's starting to warm up and my water temp is around 70 so I thought it was probably time to crank it back up. What percent should it be set to? Or is it variable based on my pool?
    - 25,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool (17x36 free form)
    - 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump
    - Polaris 3900 pool cleaner
    - Pool Pilot salt generator
    - Pentair TR-100 sand filter
    - Construction began August 27, 2012

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool owner with Purity % Question

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner1040 View Post
    I am a new pool owner. I built it last year and the builder maintained things the first year. Before the winter started I think he cranked my Purity % on my pool pilot pretty low. It's starting to warm up and my water temp is around 70 so I thought it was probably time to crank it back up. What percent should it be set to? Or is it variable based on my pool?
    To adjust the output, you just need to test the FC level and experiment. Set it where it was and test FC the next day. If it's too low, crank it up. If it's too high, lower it.

A more complete explanation is given here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...generators-swg
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

The desired percentage varies from pool to pool and seasonally. Basically you want to measure the FC level, if it is high then lower the %, if it is low then raise the %. The best time to measure FC levels for this purpose is late in the day after a sunny day.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the tips. Just out of curiosity (since I don't remember what percentage it was at), does 30% seem like a typical purity setting? I was going to start there and then measure after it's been running for a while. I haven't added any stabilizer yet this year. Do I need to add the stabilizer first? I understand it has a pretty strong correlation with the amount of chlorine in the pool. It's not terribly hot here yet...mid 70s in the day and mid 50s at night.
    - 25,000 gallon in-ground gunite pool (17x36 free form)
    - 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump
    - Polaris 3900 pool cleaner
    - Pool Pilot salt generator
    - Pentair TR-100 sand filter
    - Construction began August 27, 2012

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner1040 View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Just out of curiosity (since I don't remember what percentage it was at), does 30% seem like a typical purity setting? I was going to start there and then measure after it's been running for a while. I haven't added any stabilizer yet this year. Do I need to add the stabilizer first? I understand it has a pretty strong correlation with the amount of chlorine in the pool. It's not terribly hot here yet...mid 70s in the day and mid 50s at night.
    You need to test the stabilizer level first. Some people lose all of it over the winter, but most people find it pretty close to what it was when they closed.

Never blindly add anything to the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!