Black Residue on Pool Cover

Jul 11, 2013
Wichita, KS
I have an undertrack automatic pool cover. Along the sides near the track (on both sides) and more pronounced near the cover box, there is a black residue. Is that normal? I am considering having a pool company come out and take a look but wanted to check here first.

FYI: This cover was installed late last summer. When I opened the pool up a month or so ago, I deep cleaned the cover, pressure washed the tracking, and sprayed down the pulleys.

This could be the result of suntan lotion/oil floating on the surface of the water. Oils, such as from suntan lotion, tend to get black and "gunky" before they break down completely. Using a scum bug (foam sponge thing that floats in the skimmer) and/or an enzyme treatment can cut down on oil related issues dramatically.

JasonLion, one more question if you don't mind.

I have three returns (2 regular returns and one for the pool cleaner). The two regular returns have different flow coming out. The one closest to the pool equipment comes out pretty fast and shoots up through the surface of the water a bit. The second return is about what I'd consider normal. For the life of me, I can't remember if the flow is the same or more than last year (just put in the pool last year). Does that sound normal?

Thanks in advance!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.