Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you prevent bag of salts from turning in to solid blocks?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you prevent bag of salts from turning in to solid blocks?

Local Walmart is having a crazy sale on 40 pound bags, I would like to purchase 20-30 bags for the next few seasons.

How do you prevent salt bags from turning in to solid blocks? There is nothing like opening a freshly bought bag with loose grains that just flow in, but a solid block is a nightmare and I deal with that every year x 7 when opening my pool with my previous year's stock.
    18' x 36" Ovalish 80,000 Litre Vinyl IGP. 2 speed 1HP Hayward pump SP2607X102S. 300 Pound Sand Filter. Summit Sum5 Heat Pump, Goldline Controls Aqua Logic P4 System, T-CELL-15 SWG, Aqua Pod Remote Control, Pentair 7845xx02 light.
    TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Stirrer, Pool Chemist in training.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you prevent bag of salts from turning in to solid blocks?

You would need to store it in a climate controlled area with low humidity. If you have a spare bedroom or a really big closet you're not using you could store it there.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How do you prevent bag of salts from turning in to solid blocks?

Drop them on the ground every 3 months or so.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida