White/Grey cloudy water

Shawdaddy1972

LifeTime Supporter
May 14, 2012
Gulfport, MS
So I slammed my pool until the algae was dead and passed the Overnight chlorine loss test. I have only used Clorox in my pool and never had a problem, however, this opening year I can't for the life of me get the water crystal yet. I have vacuumed and brushed almost daily and left the pump running for 2 weeks solid, still no luck. All of my water parameters are tested with the Taylor 2006 and are right where they need to be....The sand in my filter is going on 2 years old so not sure if it's time to change. Any advise from the experts would be greatly appreciated..Thanks, Chad

The sand in your filter doesn't go bad. I'm sure it's fine.
You stated you slammed the pool. It sounds to me that you didn't quite follow it all the way to the end. You need to pass these three criteria to stop the SLAM.
1 Water is crystal clear.
2 You have CC's of 0.5 or less.
3. You can pass the OCLT.
Cloudy water is almost always a water chemistry problem, not a filter problem. I know you said all your tests look ok but could you post a full set of test results in case your missing something ? Also have you added any chem's from the pool store lately ? ?

Your FC should be at SLAM value right now since your water is still cloudy. The OCLT is confirmation that you completed the SLAM but should only be performed after your water is clear.

It might be a good idea to open up your filter and inspect and clean the sand to make sure it is functioning properly. There is almost never a need to replace your sand, though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.