Getting Started ... Your thoughts on the plan?

Newbie here and I too would like to thank everyone for their posts, I have learned a lot with even more to go. We have been interviewing PBs for weeks now and have made the decision. The contract will be signed in a couple of days, barring any unforeseen events. I was hoping to get some opinions before signing the dotted line:

Here are the basics (drawing below):
17 x 34, 3' to 5' Deep
497 sq. ft., 89 perimeter
Deck: Approx. 860 sq. ft.
8" Bond Beam

Features:
70 sq. ft. Sunshelf (with Foam Jet Fountain and Umbrella Sleeve)
2 Hydrotherapy Jets on Bench next to Sunshelf
8' Swimout with 2 1' Sheer Arcs
1 Hayward Color Logic LED

Equipment:
1hp Sta Rite Dura Glass Pump (Pool)
2hp Sta Rite Dura Glasss Pump (Water Features)
75 Sq. Ft. Sta Rite Cartridge Filter
Jandy Never Lube Valves
Auto Pilot Soft Touch 36 Chlorine Generator
Diamond Brite
Patio Mounted Switches for Light and for Feature Pump

Cost:
MORE THAN I EXPECTED!

Couple of Notes:
- I was very surprised how unimpressed I was with the "Sales Guys" these PBs send out, further not one of them (besides the one we went with) have followed up after two weeks
- Our PB thus far as been awesome, went above and beyond our expectations (and far exceeded his competitors). Obviously, it is early and we are still in the "sales phase." However, the company has been around forever and I would be shocked if we did not get the same attention to detail as the process continues based on their reputation.

Your thoughts? Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance for your replies,
Jason

Attachments

• pooldrawing.jpg
    pooldrawing.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 332
Cobra,

The two pump theory was one decided upon to be able to turn on the water features at night, lets say. This way we can take advantage of the water features when the regular pump is not needed. Did not consider ONE variable speed pump, would this do the same "trick"?

In regards to the cleaner, the build includes a valved cleaner line with safety cover, and vacuum with hose. I am convinced with the help of the TFP-ers that I can care for this thing myself. However, after one or two manual vacuums, I am sure I will be in the market for an automatic one. Not sure which that will be yet.

Best regards,
Jason

jasonr,

looks good.

couple things...

if you don't have plenty of shade, put you a few more umbrella stands in. we have 2 in our pool, 2 on the deck, and wish I had more. you may not use them all at once, but the more you put in, the more places you can use them. make sure they hold them perfectly vertical when they poor the concrete.

MAKE SURE YOU LIKE THE SLOPE OF THE POOL FLOOR BEFORE THEY START PUTTING IN STEEL !!! HAVE A GOOD IDEA IN YOUR MIND WHAT YOU WANT AND TRY TO WATCH THIS CLOSELY (AND DISCUSS WITH THE GUY DIGGING) AS HE DIGS.

and no matter what, don't be "shocked" by anything done or not done by a poolbuilder. do your best to inspect and discuss every detail.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Steve

As Steve is I too am just finishing my pool build.

I agree 100% to inspect every detail at every step of the way. If you get too far before you ask a question it may be too late to do anything about it. I studied this site and others for almost two years before starting and I still overlooked an issue with the dig. It was minor but I still don't like it. Ask questions about everyting if you don't understand something. I made it a habit to come home and inspect every detail about that days work. I caught quite a few things that were not quite right. Take lots and lots of pictures. Even if something doesn't seem important at the time take a picture of it. Take pictures of things from multiple angles.

Yes, a variable speed pump can be hooked up to do everything at once or individually. It will cost more initially but will cost less to operate and therefore be less expensive in the long run.

Even if you don't plan to get a cleaner now, you should install the plumbing now to support one. It's cheap to add a bit more PVC now but it would be very expensive to do it later. There are some cleaners that you can get later that will work without dedicated plumbing but most people think they don't work as well.

An automatic (automated robot, whatever you wanta call it) is not even an option. It's a must.

Whatever you do, get the pump, get the plumbing installed... if you need to delay buying the cleaner itself, that's ok... it'll take you about a week to realize the need for it.

I've never manually vacuumed my pool after the first week I had it (my pb didn't have it hooked up yet.) There's enough work to keep you busy without vacuuming your pool.

I'm guessing the whole cleaner package shouldn't be over $500.

The main thing, get a pump and plumb up for a pressure-side cleaner. Move on to the next issue.

Go.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will be sure to get the necessary hardware for the pool cleaner, if not the system entirely, from the PB taken care of.

You all have been very helpful and I appreciate it. I will do my best to return the favor as I gain the knowledge in time, or at least with photos of the build process once it begins. I found those posts to be most beneficial to me at this time, in getting an idea of what to expect.

Any final thoughts? The contract signing is scheduled for tonight.

Regards,
Jason

Make sure the payment schedule is not set up for them to get more money than the work completed. There are countless stories about PB's who become quite unresponsive after they have the bulk of the money. There is a strong incentive for them to do a good job or fix a problem if you don't pay them until AFTER a step is completed to your satisfaction.

Do a BBB check on your PB. You can do this online.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.