Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster being eaten away by return

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster being eaten away by return

Hello,

I am a new gunite pool start up. The pool was plastered 5/5 (Quartz Finish). I have a bench and one of the returns is only about an 1 1/2 off the top of the bench where you would sit. I always thought that was wrong. Anyway, last night I noticed some discoloration on the bench right by the return. It turns out the force of the water is eating away the plaster. It is much rougher and pitted than the other areas which are quite smooth. I immediately pointed the return higher so it is rippling the surface water. The return was not directly hitting the bench, but the residual force was enough to do damage. Any suggestions on how to smooth of the area which is about the size of a baseball?

Thanks,
    Doug

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster being eaten away by return

Have your plaster guy come take a look at it and see if it can be corrected chemically or if it need polishing or patching. What size pump do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Use 80 or 100 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper.

4. Back To Top    #4

The pump is 1 1/2 horse. I sent a text to the guy who did my indoctrination and he said this won't happen when the plaster cures....but it's a little late for that advise. I'll reach out to the plaster company first, and if I get no where with them, I'll use the sandpaper as recommended....I just want to get rid of the roughness.