Question on filer drain plug

I saw no o ring when I replaced the old one a few months ago. The new one came with out one. What could be my options, the new plug was by its self and the one I replaced had always used tape. Is there some other kind of seal I could use ? Or should I use more tape for a better seal. It's not a lot of water but it's very wasteful and annoying. I would like a solution to stop the minor leak.
Thank you for the response

Mine has an O-ring as well. The surface on the filter is not perfectly flat on mine so the O-ring is essential.

If you are out and about today, I would take the plug with me and buy an O-ring to fit and then some pipe dope. Try the O-ring by itself and if that doesn't work, apply the pipe dope in lieu of the teflon tape. One of those ideas should seal it.

I understand perfectly how annoying those minor leaks are. :D

PS - you might be able to find a diagram of parts for your filter and see if it calls for that O-ring.

Here's some pics, pool store said no o ring or gasket needed. I don't usually take their advice at heart. So other then Teflon tape, pipe dope would seal it better and won't lock it in, right ? It does seem to be a very flat area, no curves where the plug goes.

jyrubeze.jpg

8e5ateda.jpg

7egu4a8a.jpg

Thanks

Sent -3 or -7

1. It looks a little gnarled up like it's been forced open with the wrong tool. The mating surfaces may be damaged

2. Pipe dope will not set up so you can remove it when you want......it may or may not leak because of the above.

3. It still looks to me like a gasket is qappropriate

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So it's leaking again, I took if off and it has a few hairline cracks in the new plug. Took it back and they gave me another one and installed it finger tight, lubed the O ring and Teflon Tape. Can anyone suggest a better drain plug then these plastics ones that are probably made in China ? With the dry weather and constant sun in the desert I think the plastic ones won't last. I take the drain plug out 3 or 4 times a year to clean the bottom of the filter.
Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.