Pretty new pool owner and am having problems.

Jul 8, 2008
Ok, first off I would like to say hi and thank you for this forum, I think this is going to help me with a lot of grief. So here is my current predicament. First off, since last year, my pool's chlorine levels no not increase, no matter what I do. My pool is 22,000 gallons in size, vinyl, IG. I have added lots of shock, as well as added bleach, and have not seen chlorine levels rise. One thing that I thought may have been part of the problems, was that my chlorinator had a lot of crud in it and wasn't circulating well. I changed that, but I am still having the problem as well as having issues now with ph.

Upon further research, I think I am getting an idea as to what my problem is. My CYA levels are high, very high in fact (probably due to abundant shock usage and the new chorlinator) I learned that the chlorine pills will drop my ph, so now that I have a new chlorinator and I was setting it to the max amount, I believe this was causing my ph to drop. So today I turned down the circulation level of the clorinator and am going to start adding borox as soon as I get home tonight to get ph under control. Also, my alkalinity is fine, thus why I am thinking about just adding borax.

so here are my questions,
1. Is what I am saying about ph and the chlorine tablets make sense?
2. What could be the reason my chorline levels are not rising, could it be that I have to much CYA in the pool? If so, how do I resolve this issue?

Finally, I have been using the pool strips to test my water, are they a good gauge for testing?

I am investing in the TF100 test kit and am looking forward to getting more control of my chemicals in my pool. Thanks again for any help.

Hi, and welcome to TFP!

First off, post your latest test results. "fine" or "very high" is not enough of an indicator for us to be able to help you adequately.

Secondly, while slightly better than not testing at all, strips are very inaccurate.

How's your water looking? if you cannot get your FC up, besides your sky-high CYA, you probably have an algae bloom trying to take hold, or other organics in your water that are using up your chlorine as you add it. You probably need to shock your pool.

The only way to lower CYA is to drain part of the water.

Others will be along shortly to assist you further!!

Mermaid queen, thank you for the reply. I am going to post my latest test results tomorrow night after having my local pool store analyze my water. I will also post tonight my results from this weekend, but I do know they changed because I had to raise my ph and TA.

My water is clear, though I do have black algae at the bottom of my pool. I know is in large part due to low chlorine levels, which is why IO am trying to get these levels up.

Thank you again for your help,

Welcome Allusion,

If you add a bunch of chlorine and a bunch of bleach, and NOTHING changes... you better check your test method. I had that situation once, and sure enough, the test method was the problem.

Unless your poolstore is next door, and their methods are better than most reported here... you will have a tough time maintaining your pool. If you're gonna do it... then do it. You test it, you correct it. People here can help you... no money to be made here by helping or not helping you. Your pool store has two interests. Theirs and yours. (listed in priority order) Every time they test your water, their answer will be biased somehow in their direction. (occaionsally, they will even know that they better give you some free advice before you get TOO frustrated and try another store.)

all that said, to say... Get you a good test kit!! $80 and you can be smarter than the poolstore! and unless you choose to, you'll never even need to walk back in that store. (of course they may have some neat toys or some pump parts or a good skimmer net or something... maybe a good lookin... uhhh... nevermind)

There's a guy here that offers a kit. It's just the right chemicals, instructions, all in a nice little box, with a little chart to record your results... of which, you can report back here with the results and get FREE advice. Look for the TroubleFree TF-100 kit in someone's signature, or "duraleigh" is the guy.

there's some other kits too, probably just as good, I just can't point you to them.

As long you depend on the poolstore's results, you'll never be in control of your pool.

just my 2 cents!!

Good luck with your water,

Steve

If you have algae, bring your water to the pool store they will have a pimply faced kid who could care less about accuracy test your water, spit out some drivel and then sell you algaecide or some other junk you don't need. You will return week after week and waste time and money and nothing will change.

My biggest pet peeve is people say "I have problem XXX but my water is clear"

Just because the water is clear doesn't mean it's right. There are a lot of other factors that come into play other than clarity. Some levels, if out of line, can ruin your pool equipment or surrounding property. (this was not a personal attack so please don't misinterpret my statement)

You have a large pool so you need to educate yourself which is what this froum is all about. IN order for everyone to help though you need to go here,

http://www.tftestkits.com/

purchase a test kit, follow the directions and test your owm water. Nothing is more satisfying that taking care of it yourself and not having to rely on anyone (other than us, but we don't cost you money :) ) There are a ton of knowledgeable people on this board to help you out.

Buy the kit (or one similar) test your water, post your numbers and we'll help you out any way we can.

allusion76 said:
steve, thanks for the reply. Before I signed up to this forum, I purchased the tf100. I am excited for it to get to me and hope this will end my dependency on my local pool store.

Good for you!! YOU ARE FREE NOW!!!

After you test a time or two, you won't even consider having them do it for you. I promise.

Why drive there (at $4.00+/gallon)?
Why trust their results?
Why have to humor their advice?

You will have no desire to let them touch you water again!

Despite my comments, i like my local pool store (Pool and Spa World, Baton Rouge). They have a pretty good selection of parts, re-agents, a few toys, etc. They're very nice, and usually comment to me, "we can test your water for free too", to which I politely reply, "ok, I'll keep that in mind."

They're in biz to make money (so am i). Some things in life are better done yourself. For the average person, I think testing your pool water is one of them. (or it should at least be tested on your site, and remedied right there too.)

Sorry for the rant... maybe someone else read it who needed it!

Enjoy your new kit.

Steve

allusion76 said:
Ok, first off I would like to say hi and thank you for this forum, I think this is going to help me with a lot of grief. So here is my current predicament. First off, since last year, my pool's chlorine levels no not increase, no matter what I do. My pool is 22,000 gallons in size, vinyl, IG. I have added lots of shock, as well as added bleach, and have not seen chlorine levels rise. One thing that I thought may have been part of the problems, was that my chlorinator had a lot of crud in it and wasn't circulating well. I changed that, but I am still having the problem as well as having issues now with ph.

Upon further research, I think I am getting an idea as to what my problem is. My CYA levels are high, very high in fact (probably due to abundant shock usage and the new chorlinator) I learned that the chlorine pills will drop my ph, so now that I have a new chlorinator and I was setting it to the max amount, I believe this was causing my ph to drop. So today I turned down the circulation level of the clorinator and am going to start adding borox as soon as I get home tonight to get ph under control. Also, my alkalinity is fine, thus why I am thinking about just adding borax.

so here are my questions,
1. Is what I am saying about ph and the chlorine tablets make sense?
2. What could be the reason my chorline levels are not rising, could it be that I have to much CYA in the pool? If so, how do I resolve this issue?

Finally, I have been using the pool strips to test my water, are they a good gauge for testing?

I am investing in the TF100 test kit and am looking forward to getting more control of my chemicals in my pool. Thanks again for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

The fact you already ordered your test kit speaks volumes and you WILL have complete control of your pool!

1. Yes
2. It's a combination of factors I would guess. One, your CYA is high (care to share how high?) and two, algae is trying to take hold. You need to shock, but you need to shock according to your CYA level - see the chart in Pool School.

"Shock" is something you do, not something you add, despite what the pool stores market their products as....what were you "shocking" with?

You are in the right place....glad you joined us! :wave:

P.S. related note - I would LOVE to live near the pool store where Waterbear works. Those people just don't know how lucky they are.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hello everyone. I just recieved my brand new test kit and I have to say, its awesome. I only did 1 or 2 tests, but will do a complete test laster today. This things is awesome and I will try to go through a complete test and see if I can correct my chlorine problem with the pool school tips before I ask any more questions. Thanks again and this is an awesome sight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.