Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: after the Rains

1. Back To Top    #1

after the Rains

Hi

I just wanted to know if this is normal.

On 5-12, my FC was 14 and CC was 0 (after several days at or above SLAM levels). I did the overnight test and my FC only went down by 1 (sunny days) and the CC stayed at 0. I assume I was in the clear. Now 4 days later and after probably every bit of 1.5+ inches of hard rain, I tested my FC. It is 5 (tested 2X to be sure) and the CC was .5
    Is it expected for the FC to drop that much in 4 days? I am thinking so b/c of getting so much rain water (my pool is almost to the top).

(This is the first week of having my TF100 test kit. I have tested the FC and CC and CYA multiple times--mostly to get used to the process and verify I am doing things correctly. I plan on doing all the weekly testing on Sundays and the small kit of FC and PH daily to verify FC at +/- 5ppm.)
    Cincinnati, OH. 7th year of AG 24' pool -- 4th year using BBB method.
    24'x52" AGP. Sand filter & automatic chlorinator.

2. Back To Top    #2

after the Rains

That FC drop in four days is roughly 2 ppm per day which is pretty normal IMO.
    Rain has very little effect on your water chemistry unless you have some runoff into your pool from it. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: after the Rains

Im not sure what you mean by runoff into my pool...my pool is now almost filled to the top...so I am thinking rain water is untreated so wouldn't it dilute the FC, CYA, pH, etc?

Thanks

4. Back To Top    #4

after the Rains

I see your pool is above ground so you won't have rain water runoff into it like you could with an inground. Still rain fall has little effect on your water chemistry. It's not like you replaced 1/2 your pool water. That would mess the chemistry up. You just had some rain which doesn't effect your chemistry as much as you think it would. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Sounds pretty normal to me Debbier! I've had to drain a at least 4" off my pool in 2 days. I'm hoping the rain will quit soon! I'm ready for warm weather!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

I know how you feel, Casey .... we went from 80+ degree days (& actually got in the pool) to I wore a sweater today..Lol. I cant wait for summer!

8. Back To Top    #8

I haven't noticed too much change after rains, until we had around 16 inches of rain in 24 hours . I saw all of my levels drop quite dramatically, after doing some calculations, I essentially had around 20% of my water replaced. Hopefully that won't happen again for a while!
    14,500 Gallon kidney shaped in-ground vinyl, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus - 420, Circupool SI40+, 150 fpm - 1HP, Polaris Vac-Sweep 280, TF-100 Test Kit, Hydro Spa Lexxus 225 gallon spa.