How much for monthly service?

Omarf4

May 16, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Hey gang, new member here. We just moved into a new house in a suburb of Dallas with a kidney shapped 20,000 - 25,000 gallon saltwater inground pool. The pool has all the goodies, heater, automation, spa (attached) water works......the prior owners of the house had this pool service from a pool guy that would service the pool weekly. He also does the next door pools, so basically we are on his route. First thing we did is get a variable speed pentair pump installed after the old single speed Hayward took a **** a week into our move.

Here are my basic question, please note I am very mechanically inclined :
we pay $120 per month for 4 visits. The visit consists of 10 minutes cleaning pump skimmer, the two pool skimmer buckets and scrubbing of pool concrete liner. Entire visit doesn't take more than 15 minutes. Does that seem a bit excessive? I have a test kit and saltwater levels are displayed on internal panel, so all good with levels.

Leslie's pool store is 10 minutes down the street and they do pretty much all sorts of DIY support. Seems the $120 per month is excessive considering the labor involved is rudimentary in each visit. Everything above and beyond is paid for separately.

Let me know your thoughts....

Welcome to TFP.

That's a lot of money wasted when I could do that to my own pool, never leave the house for DIY support (get online at TFP.com) to go to pool store to test because I use my own TF100 and buy my chlorine at WalMart. What do you need a pool store for?

Thanks for the quick responses.....I literally am baffled as to why I am paying the $120 per month just because the prior owners had the service. Something seems off and I keep telling the wife that I could do most of it and learn the rest....but she thinks it's cheap insurance for someone to do the work......

Thanks for the confirmation.....that's $1440 per year for skimmer cleaning!!!:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

FIRE THAT POOL BOY!

Read Pool School and order a TF100XL. Stick around! Ask questions and you won't regret sending the pool boy packin!!! Your wife will be really impressed too! Tell her it's your toy and she only gets to swim in it! I think we should get this party started! :party::cheers:

WOW. The pool hut (Independently owned small business) around the corner from me only charges 70 a month. I do my own even though I knew nothing when I bought my house with pool in October. I am learning from the great folks here at TFP. Brushing and vacuuming is the hardest and most time consuming part and that's easy. The most tedious part for me is cleaning my cartridge filter. I'm a little OCD so I take it all apart and clean it every 2 or 3 days.

Yea, I sure agree it is time for them to go. You can do this, what we teach is so easy, most people won't believe it will work. Believe me, it will, and it will work fabulously.

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How do you fire a pool guy? (maybe a topic for another thread) I don't have a contract or anything....but the guy has been servicing this pool for 10 years and does the pools at my neighbors also.....I.e. he will be around for a while doing their pools.....a bit of guilt for some reason........

Believe me, I get I could learn and do it all slowly with the help of great folks on here.... My delimma is I know I am being scammed but I also feel a bit guilty firing him........

You don't owe him anything. Just because the previous owners used him doesn't mean you have to. If you are mechanically inclined as you say, do you really want someone else taking care of your goods?? That'd drive me nuts as I am capable and would just question whoever else was taking care of my pool. Just tell the guy you have experience with pools and that you will do it yourself and enjoy it.

Tell him you want to care for it yourself and save a little money for something nice for the house (or whatever). He will probably try to talk you out of it, especially if you mention the methods we teach here. Just let him know there were no complaints and you'll give him a call if you change your mind.

Wait, before we fire the pool guy, how cute is he??? lol! I have a friend that did pools as a job for a while. He threw shock and dropped pucks in everything. Their CYA had to be way too high. And I don't see how tending the pool once a week could be enough to keep it really healthy. I bought a house w a pool last year as a complete noob and I probably average 10 minutes a day (if that) taking care of the pool. I have never had a problem (although the advice that I have had here has been wonderful). There is really no excuse to give the pool company your money. And I agree with the others. You could afford a robot to do most of the work if you get rid of the pool boy.

That's the thing, I have a hayward navigator in the pool with a dedicated side suction line. After we moved in, I bout the rebuild kit, rebuilt the a-frame, legs, wings and now it's doing a very fine job. I also put a new gauge on the DE filter unit as the old one wasn't reading properly. With a new variable speed pump the only thing outstanding is back washing the DE filter and this thing should be fine for the season.......that's when the light bulb came on with a big sign "why am I paying $120 per month for some blonde guy to come in while I am at work during the week when i have a stay at home wife, I can show her how to clean the skimmers every other day?"...........

I live in Houston and have always paid Between $120 and $160 a month for weekly pool service. My pool guy moved away and I haven't found another one that hasn't tried to sell me $1500 in repairs that I don't need "before I can even get started". I personally have found that between the cost of equipment and chemicals, and the time consumption, it's worth it for me to hire someone. I'm still searching!

Do it yourself pool care can be simple and cheap, but their is a learning curve, even then within a couple of weeks you will likely be at the under 5 minutes per day point, pretty soon that will likely turn into 2-3 minutes every other day and 5 minutes once per week not counting seasonal service and equipment repair.

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.