Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much for monthly service?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question How much for monthly service?

Hey gang, new member here. We just moved into a new house in a suburb of Dallas with a kidney shapped 20,000 - 25,000 gallon saltwater inground pool. The pool has all the goodies, heater, automation, spa (attached) water works......the prior owners of the house had this pool service from a pool guy that would service the pool weekly. He also does the next door pools, so basically we are on his route. First thing we did is get a variable speed pentair pump installed after the old single speed Hayward took a **** a week into our move.

Here are my basic question, please note I am very mechanically inclined :
    we pay $120 per month for 4 visits. The visit consists of 10 minutes cleaning pump skimmer, the two pool skimmer buckets and scrubbing of pool concrete liner. Entire visit doesn't take more than 15 minutes. Does that seem a bit excessive? I have a test kit and saltwater levels are displayed on internal panel, so all good with levels.

Leslie's pool store is 10 minutes down the street and they do pretty much all sorts of DIY support. Seems the $120 per month is excessive considering the labor involved is rudimentary in each visit. Everything above and beyond is paid for separately.

Let me know your thoughts....

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much for monthly service?

Welcome to TFP.

That's a lot of money wasted when I could do that to my own pool, never leave the house for DIY support (get online at TFP.com) to go to pool store to test because I use my own TF100 and buy my chlorine at WalMart. What do you need a pool store for?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP !
    + 1 to what Casey said. Gaining the knowledge thru reading and reading in pool school, will have you maintaining your own pool a breeze. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick responses.....I literally am baffled as to why I am paying the $120 per month just because the prior owners had the service. Something seems off and I keep telling the wife that I could do most of it and learn the rest....but she thinks it's cheap insurance for someone to do the work......

Thanks for the confirmation.....that's $1440 per year for skimmer cleaning!!!

5. Back To Top    #5

The previous owner of my home paid 250$/ month for full service including chemicals, no joke. They quoted me 175 with chemicals costing extra. Needless to say, I'm glad I found this website!

6. Back To Top    #6

How much for monthly service?

I'm sure the 1400 bucks could be well spent some place else or saved ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

that 1440 would buy a REAL NICE robot that would do all of the vacuuming and wall brushing for you. I mean, really, how hard can it be to empty a skimmer basket every few days?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

8. Back To Top    #8

FIRE THAT POOL BOY!

Read Pool School and order a TF100XL. Stick around! Ask questions and you won't regret sending the pool boy packin!!! Your wife will be really impressed too! Tell her it's your toy and she only gets to swim in it! I think we should get this party started!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

WOW. The pool hut (Independently owned small business) around the corner from me only charges 70 a month. I do my own even though I knew nothing when I bought my house with pool in October. I am learning from the great folks here at TFP. Brushing and vacuuming is the hardest and most time consuming part and that's easy. The most tedious part for me is cleaning my cartridge filter. I'm a little OCD so I take it all apart and clean it every 2 or 3 days.
    13,700 gal, outdoor IG Plaster, (deteriorating)Sta rite Posi Flo II ptm 70 Cartridge, Paramount PCC 2000 in floor pop up sweeper, RedLeopard Orbit automatic pool cleaner, FLOLight return eyeballs, 1 HP Pentair Superflo single speed pump, built in 1992
    370 Gal 2005 stand alone Marquis Destiny spa w/Ozonator, chlorinated

10. Back To Top    #10

Yea, I sure agree it is time for them to go. You can do this, what we teach is so easy, most people won't believe it will work. Believe me, it will, and it will work fabulously.

Welcome to the forum!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

How do you fire a pool guy? (maybe a topic for another thread) I don't have a contract or anything....but the guy has been servicing this pool for 10 years and does the pools at my neighbors also.....I.e. he will be around for a while doing their pools.....a bit of guilt for some reason........

Believe me, I get I could learn and do it all slowly with the help of great folks on here.... My delimma is I know I am being scammed but I also feel a bit guilty firing him........

12. Back To Top    #12

You don't owe him anything. Just because the previous owners used him doesn't mean you have to. If you are mechanically inclined as you say, do you really want someone else taking care of your goods?? That'd drive me nuts as I am capable and would just question whoever else was taking care of my pool. Just tell the guy you have experience with pools and that you will do it yourself and enjoy it.

13. Back To Top    #13

How to fire a pool guy?

"Here's your last check! Have a nice day! Don't bother coming back."
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

Tell him you want to care for it yourself and save a little money for something nice for the house (or whatever). He will probably try to talk you out of it, especially if you mention the methods we teach here. Just let him know there were no complaints and you'll give him a call if you change your mind.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

15. Back To Top    #15

+1 what zea said.
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

Wait, before we fire the pool guy, how cute is he??? lol! I have a friend that did pools as a job for a while. He threw shock and dropped pucks in everything. Their CYA had to be way too high. And I don't see how tending the pool once a week could be enough to keep it really healthy. I bought a house w a pool last year as a complete noob and I probably average 10 minutes a day (if that) taking care of the pool. I have never had a problem (although the advice that I have had here has been wonderful). There is really no excuse to give the pool company your money. And I agree with the others. You could afford a robot to do most of the work if you get rid of the pool boy.
    ~18,000 gallon
    DE filter/chlorine
    IG Grey Plaster
    25 year old pool w a facelift in 2014

17. Back To Top    #17

That's the thing, I have a hayward navigator in the pool with a dedicated side suction line. After we moved in, I bout the rebuild kit, rebuilt the a-frame, legs, wings and now it's doing a very fine job. I also put a new gauge on the DE filter unit as the old one wasn't reading properly. With a new variable speed pump the only thing outstanding is back washing the DE filter and this thing should be fine for the season.......that's when the light bulb came on with a big sign "why am I paying $120 per month for some blonde guy to come in while I am at work during the week when i have a stay at home wife, I can show her how to clean the skimmers every other day?"...........

18. Back To Top    #18

I live in Houston and have always paid Between $120 and $160 a month for weekly pool service. My pool guy moved away and I haven't found another one that hasn't tried to sell me $1500 in repairs that I don't need "before I can even get started". I personally have found that between the cost of equipment and chemicals, and the time consumption, it's worth it for me to hire someone. I'm still searching!
    15,000 Inground devil swamp
    Hayward 36 sq ft filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Jill....seems like its normal cost around here in Texas.....checked with co-workers and they are all paying about the same rate......still planning on cutting the cord after he does my DE filter service......wish me luck!

20. Back To Top    #20

Do it yourself pool care can be simple and cheap, but their is a learning curve, even then within a couple of weeks you will likely be at the under 5 minutes per day point, pretty soon that will likely turn into 2-3 minutes every other day and 5 minutes once per week not counting seasonal service and equipment repair.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast