Newbie- confused about Intex saltwater and sandfilter model differences

Jul 17, 2011
Hello,

This is my first post, despite the fact that I joined Trouble Free Pool in 2011 and have been reading info on this site for a long time. :D (This really is a great resource, everyone. I've been so impressed by the informed, sensible discussions taking place here and the quality of the help and advice offered. Great job!) Anyway, it has taken me three years to overcome my worries about all those negative reviews about Intex above ground pools and their variable customer service, and about the fact that I might just be wasting my money. I know, three years is a really long time to dither…

I have FINALLY bought an Intex Ultra 14 x 42 pool. I haven’t yet set it up because I want to buy the Intex sandfilter and saltwater combo set, but I’m confused about which model I should get.
From my research I think I should be buying the Intex 1600 GPH Saltwater System & Sand Filter Pump Set | 28677EG (56677EG)
http://www.vminnovations.com/Produc...nd-Sand-Filter-Pump-Set-28677EG-56677EG-.html
available at VMInnovations for about $280.

My confusion is based on the fact that I’ve read that Intex has brought out a newer model, which is more expensive. I’m not sure if the above is the newer model, or an older one that’s being discontinued.

There’s also this one, which might be the newer model: 14 in Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System w/ GFCI being sold by Intex for $409 at:
http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/...agp-accessories/saltwater-system/56677eg.html

Both of these seem to be 1600 GPH. I can’t account for the difference in price or the differing names/ model numbers under which they're listed seeing as, to my eyes at least, the pictures of the products on the Intex/ VMInnovation sites look the same. The specs are very difficult to compare because they aren’t listed in the same terms. What do you think? Are the two above listings for the same product, but one is just happily $130 less than the other, or am I missing something crucial? (Almost certainly…)

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP and crawling out of lurkdom! :wave:

Hope you get yourself a nifty little TF50 and I would imagine you are versed in Pool School? If not, you know where it is right?

You'll get a lot of help here isabelfish. :goodjob:

Hey Casey! No, I haven't bought a test kit yet. I'm doing this in stages and I don't actually have the pool up yet, largely because I'm stalled on the right sand filter/ saltwater system to get. I still have to buy the insulation sheets to out under the pool, since it'll be on concrete... And the TF50 will be bought at that point.

I've read some posts on TFP where people say for my pool size I should get the bigger pump (2600 GPH). Then other people say the 1600 will do the job fine. Others say the 1600 is good, but to make sure to get the new model and to beware of Intex flogging older models for the price of the new one, which they've apparently been doing.

I just want to make sure I'm making the right decision before I fork out another chunk of money.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey! I know when I signed up for TFP that I filled in where I'm living as part of my profile, but it's not showing on the screen here....weird.

Are you trying to buy the sw chlorinator that is part of the filter system? If you are, I would recommend that you buy the components separately. INTEX 2650 sand filter (discontinued) is $179 on Amazon. Probably cheaper if you search. The sw chlorinator, I have seen it as cheap as $129. The chlorinator is way more likely to break than the filter so getting separate components will allow you to keep filtering if the chlorinator breaks.

I have a 14x42 Ultra as well, and I love my 2650ghp pump/16" sandfilter. Filters/mixes fast. I also recommend getting the SWG as a separate unit. Also if you ever want to add any heater or solar you'd want to plumb it between the pump/filter and SWG anyway. The bigger pump is nice too, if you ever get a bigger pool in the future you'll still be set. Just things to ponder. :)

I have a 14x42 Ultra as well, and I love my 2650ghp pump/16" sandfilter. Filters/mixes fast. I also recommend getting the SWG as a separate unit. Also if you ever want to add any heater or solar you'd want to plumb it between the pump/filter and SWG anyway. The bigger pump is nice too, if you ever get a bigger pool in the future you'll still be set. Just things to ponder. :)

There is a SWG bypass button on the pump for the All-In-One unit, so you can connect a heater to it.

OP,
The big advantage to the bigger pump is its faster running time. It will finish the daily run in half the time, leaving your backyard quiet from pump noise(s).

Hello f3justusc!

Thank you for your suggestion. I'm sorry I disappeared for a while. It's spring on the farm here and milking and gardening sopped up my spare time for a couple of weeks.

I decided to follow up on your idea and look for separate components. Great suggestion and, yes, a bit cheaper too!

- - - Updated - - -

Hey ugafan!

I followed your links and went for the 2100 gph sand filter and the saltwater system separately. I got a pretty good price, considering I wasn't buying in the off season. It was cheaper than buying the combined sandfilter/ saltwater system, so with the savings I also got a skimmer that mounts on the wall and had good reviews.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.