Help Please

May 16, 2014
West Hills, CA
Hi, so today i noticed several spots of green algae on the pool walls. So i went to my local pool stores for some advice, they gave told me my phosphate level was above 1000. So they gave me Bio-Dex Phosphate Remover Plus, told me to add it all and run the filter for 24 hrs. Then vacuum and backwash the DE filter. I understand all this but they didn't tell me if i should backwash the DE filter during the 24hrs. Im a noob and have never had an algae problem before so not sure on what to do. Any advice would be great
Thanks

Take that stuff back and get your money back!!! All you need is bleach and a good test kit! If you do not have one, you need one!

Look at this :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison

Welcome to TFP !
If you have algae you going to need to do the SLAM Process. Review this process and follow it to the T. Your also going to need one of our recommended Test Kits to SLAM your pool.
Take sometime to do some further reading in pool school to get a further understanding of our methods. ?

Andy,
the Pool Store method of pool keeping and the TFP pool keeping method we subscribe to here are vastly different. To be honest, we simply do not trust pool store testing, and trust 1000 times less, the advice they give.
Remember one thing. The pool store is in business to sell you stuff, and lots of it. Do you need it? Well they are going to say yes because they want to sell you stuff. They NEED to sell stuff to stay in business. Remember that.

OK. Regarding your filter, backwash it and make sure its as clean as it can be. Record the reading on the pressure gauge.
When the pressure increases 25 percent, then you need to backwash again. It isnt a matter of every 24 hours to 2 days or 2 weeks. The pressure gauge is your indicator that it needs backwashed.

Now for the rest of the story - The TFPmethod which is followed by everyone on this forum is about putting only what you need in the pool water. No one here will try and sell you anything. You may however get some recommendations of what to buy, which is part of the education of learning how to manage your pool.

The TFP method requires you to have a good test kit. Only a couple are recommended, and you can order one here.
www.tftestkits.net

For what its worth, almost everyone here recommends the TF 100 because it contains more quantity of the testing chemicals so you dont have to replenish them as often. The Taylor K 2006 is also excellent, but you will have to order the testing supplies more often due the low quantity.

You mention you have some algae. Getting rid of algae will require a lot of testing, so get the XL option if you choose the TF 100 to make sure you have enough test supplies to comeplte the process. The Taylor will not have enough and Taylor does offer an XL option. You will also need a lot of patience, because getting rid of algae is not a one time pop. It is a process that takes time. Once the algae is eliminated, then following the TFP method is simple and easy and will have to worry no more about algae or be at the mercy of the pool store, which I promise you, does not have your best interest at heart.

Recommend also at the top of this web page, you click on the Pool School button and read read read...

Once you have your test kit, if you post the test results here, there are tons of people who can help, give advice, and teach you how to keep a troubefree pool which will be much lighter on your wallet, and your nerves, than any pool store could ever do.

Welcome! :wave:

A brush and some bleach would have killed that algae for less than the price of that phos-free. What's that stuff made out of anyway? Liquid gold? :D It sure costs plenty.

I'm afraid I have no answer for you regarding backwashing. I suspect they intend for you to let it circulate for 24 hours and then vacuum, and then backwash all the algae carcasses out. Since you pool is not a green slush pit, that probably won't be necessary.

Your problem is not really phopshates. It's low chlorine level for the stabilizer level.

Phosphates are only "evil" in that they are a food source for algae. Wood is fuel for a fire, but if you don't have a flame, it just sits there.Think of phosphates as algae fuel. If you don't have algae, who cares? They just sit there. I haven't got a clue what my phosphate level is. Never tested it, never treated it, never had an algae bloom.

You'll need to study pool school and order up a proper test kit. What you want is a FAS-DPD test kit. Very few pool stores carry them. Most pool stores sell a DPD test kit, and they will tell you it's the same, but it's not. Don't let them empty your wallet a second time!

If you've been maintaining the pool the pool store way, with pucks in a floater and a weekly bag o'shock, you almost certainly have extremely high CYA (stabilizer) levels and that is why you have algae. And you'll likely discover that a partial drain is in order. Not what you want to hear with the drought. Sorry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.