Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Control 12v Colorlogic Lights with Prologic??

1. Back To Top    #1

Control 12v Colorlogic Lights with Prologic??

So I got the Hayward Prologic PS8 panel today and in reading the installation manual I guess you need another module to control Hayward Colorlogic Lights. In reading the manual for the additional module (which I haven't bought yet) it sounds like it will only control 120v versions of the Colorlogic lights not the 12v lights.

Does anyone out there have 12v color logics connected to a Prologic panel? Is it possible? Should I get the builder to exchange the 12v lights for 120v lights? Any thoughts on the 12v vs 120v light decision?

Thanks!!
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Control 12v Colorlogic Lights with Prologic??

I don't have the Hayward Colorlogic Lights, but I have Fiberstars 12v LED lights in my pool and spa. My Prologic PS-8 controls them with no problems. The lights relay in the Prologic is connected to a 12v stepdown transformer that powers the LED lights.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

First, the ProLogic system will give you simple on/off control of your lights without any additions.

To get complete control over the colors you need a ColorLogic network module. ColorLogic is compatible with 12 volt lights, however it must be wired before the transformer that converts 120 volts to 12 volts, use the transformers specifically designed for ColorLogic, and you also need one coupler module for each transformer.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

When you say use the transformer specifically designed for color logic, is there a Hayward transformer? The one my builder got is an intermatic.
    18 x 36 Vinyl Inground, Coverstar Cover, 2 speed Pentair Pump, Hayward 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter, Hayward Heat Pump, Prologic PS8, T-15 Salt Cell, 2 Colorlogic LED lights, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I don't know the consequences of using third party transformers, but Hayward manuals do say that using Hayward branded transformers is required for use with the network module.

Hayward sells a whole line of transformers, designed to be mounted on the junction box between the main control panel and the light.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School