Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't remove threaded insert in pool skimmer, under basket. Help.

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't remove threaded insert in pool skimmer, under basket. Help.

Hi,

My wife got me a new pool Kreepy Krauly cleaner for my birthday. But to install it, I need to insert a threaded compression adapter into my pool filter.

I never really noticed that where I insert my manual hose, was actually two pieces inserted. It looks like the skimmer has a female thread, and then there is a male screw piece, and then a female piece with a flat area to connect my hose.

Long story short, is I need to get at the original female thread of the skimmer, and the two "inserted" pieces are locked in there. There is no room to insert any tools that I have down there, as the pieces are very close to the wall of the skimmer. Maybe there is a super special long tool that can unscrew the nut???

Until I get this out, I can't install the Kreepy Krawly. I don't think they used teflon tape on anything (the house had a pool when I bought it).

Any ideas?

20140516_195818.jpg
    Edgewater, FL
    6000 Gallon In-Ground Fiberglass Bean shaped pool
    Hayward Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't remove threaded insert in pool skimmer, under basket. Help.

Maybe you could drain the water out, and glue in a piece of pvc that extends out enough to grip and unscrew? or maybe you would not need to glue it if you could dry fit it tight enough.
    Pool - 16 x 32 rectangle inground vinyl lined approx 25,000 gallons
    Pump - Hayward SP2705X7 Max Flo II 3/4-HP Standard Efficiency Single Speed Pump
    Filter - Hayward S244T2 24-Inch Polymeric Pro Series Top Mount Sand Filter with 2-Inch Vari-Flo Valve

3. Back To Top    #3

I would try a pair of channel lock pliers, or an adjustable wrench. I've had luck getting those in there at an angle and still getting a bite on something.
    If you can't get it out at all, you can always invest in the Vac Plus II plate for the Kreepy Krauly.
    This vac plate just assembles onto the top of your skimmer which allows you to keep your baskets inserted. I know back in the day they used to include in the box a rebate for a free vac plate, but I'm not sure if they do that anymore.
    If you go this route, check the optional accessories in your manual to make sure you order the correct size for your skimmer.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would try a rubber strap wrench, or a rubber pad used for opening jar lids. I would think you could get loose by hand. Also, add teflon tape when you use the kreepy krauly adapter so that the threads are not as likely to stick.
    20x44 IG vinyl. Intelliflo, Pentair Cartridge Filter (420ft^2), Raypac 336K, Kreepy Krauly

5. Back To Top    #5

18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm not sure what the diameter of the base of the fitting you're trying to remove is but if it's large enough, something like this might work: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Uni...i_src=17588969
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons