Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stir my chlorine tank?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stir my chlorine tank?

I have peristaltic pump and 15 gal tank for liquid chlorine. I keep the tank at 8.25% concentration because that's how I usually buy bleach. From time to time I pickup 10% at Home Depot, in which case I add 27oz of water per gallon to get it back to 8.25%. I always assumed it would mix by diffusion, but then I saw the Liquidator floats a layer of water over the bleach. I don't understand how that works, but then the question is do I need to stir my tank after adding 10% and water?
    12,000 gal in-ground, blue granite pebble, Hayward Ecostar pump, 525 sqft cartridge filter, 250 sqft solar panels, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stir my chlorine tank?

The bleach is heavier than water... when you add bleach to the pool it's best to add it pencil thick over the return because it is heavier. Hope this explains why water would *float* on top. I'm sure if I'm incorrect, I'll be corrected. Lets see how I did...
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

It does make sense that water will float on bleach, but it seems like eventually diffusion would mix them. Anyway my pool chemistry is stable so I'll just assume stirring isn't necessary.
    12,000 gal in-ground, blue granite pebble, Hayward Ecostar pump, 525 sqft cartridge filter, 250 sqft solar panels, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Funny, I was about to post the same question...I thought water would MIX with the bleach, but now I am concerned that it won't.
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Water and bleach will normally mix together, but it is possible to keep them from mixing for fairly long periods of time if you are careful. Still, it doesn't take much to get them to mix throughly, and once mixed they stay mixed. The Liquidator has a special setup to prevent turbulence at the boundary between bleach and water. Without that it is fairly difficult to keep them from mixing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Cool so it sounds like us adding water to equalize the concentration will work thank you

14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover