replacing pump fitting

spriteman

LifeTime Supporter
May 9, 2008
central Florida
I have a dura-glas P2R series pump that developed a crack in the fitting that attaches to the pump body discharge. the fitting is a 2" on the pipe side and 1.5" on the pump side (this is stamped on the fitting itself). I'm assuming the fitting threads into the pump body. the reason I say this is it appears there is a silicone based sealant (blue in color) that I can detect at that interface. when I first saw the sealant, it reminded me of RTV since I could press my fingernail into it and it had the feel of something rubberized/pliable.

just to be clear, the fitting is cracked NOT the pump body.

my main questions are: 1) are all my assumptions valid and what kind of silicone do I use when I replace the fitting? 2) also, do I have to remove every last morsel of old sealant from the pump body threads at the discharge? -- I guess what I'm asking is how clean do I need to make it before loading it up with new sealant and installing a new fitting?

thanks

Attachments

• 20140516_121635_resized.jpg
    20140516_121635_resized.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 28
1. Yes the fitting screws in. You should not need any silicone, but use a good teflon pipe dope.
2. Ideally you want most out ... if it is a silicone rubbery sealant, that may be more work to try to remove.

thanks jason ..... was able to pick up some Rectorseal Tru-Blu at home depot. it's teflon based and says it is specifically formulated for vibration areas -- I figured the outlet to the pump qualifies as a vibration area. not sure how long it takes to cure since the directions state it "varies with application". so, i went ahead and removed the old fitting and installed a new one using the tru-blu and replumbed the 2" line. the old sealant wasn't too hard to remove -- it was basically limited to the first few threads.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.