PVC Tray Holder For Intex Metal Frame Pool (I Should Patent This!)

Beens

TFP Expert
Jul 22, 2013
Virginia Beach, Va
I've been building today and I am pretty darn proud of myself!

I have been wanting a place to put things by the pool pretty much since I got the pool. (Probably close to 10 years now!)

Most of the time I'm by myself and I have a combination of a drink and a book, my cell phone (in a waterproof case) and maybe a hat. Things like that. I always had to stick everything on the top of my ladder then try to work around it when getting in or out of the pool.

I have been looking for something to attach to the side of the pool and really haven't found anything. I've seen one for "real" above ground pools that was over $30 and recently discovered a small intex one that is discontinued and was $19.99.

I have a nice tray that I bought in Target a few years ago that I usually use to bring things out when I want to sit in my gazebo so I decided that it would be nice to make a sort of platform that I could set a tray on. It ended up fitting my tray perfectly!

I have always wanted to try making something with PVC so last night I did some planning with my sister in the Lowe's PVC aisle and here is a variation of what we came up with.

I am extremely happy with how it came out and I can't wait to use it next time I'm in the pool!

First a view from the front. Note the gloomy weather. Rainy today, not pool weather...pool accessory building weather!

A view from a little more above it for a better view of the pieces on the pool frame.

From the side

With the tray in place

From the side with the tray in place

And what it might look like while in use!!

Finally, a pic of the mess that is left behind. I should probably clean that now...

The total cost for pieces was $12.04 before tax.

I'll be nice now and tell you what I used...although part of me wants to hide these pics, apply for a patent and sell this thing instead! ;-)

(1) 1/2" x 10' PVC Pipe
(2) 1/2" 90 Degree Elbows
(2) 1/2" 45 Degree Elbows
(4) 1/2" 3-Way Elbows
(2) 1/2" x 2 x 2 Tees

I cut the 2" side of the tees to make a half circle that sits on the tubular frame of my pool. I have seen the pieces already cut before but Lowes only had tiny ones and Home Depot didn't have any. I'm not sure if they come in 2" but cutting a regular tee wasn't too bad. If you had "real" tools it would be even easier!

The top of the frame is a rectangle using (2) 10" pieces and (2) 14" pieces. About 12" x 16" when you add the 3 way elbows.

On the bottom piece of the front (2) 3-way elbows I used a 1 1/2" piece on each to connect to the 45 degree elbows. The diagonal pieces are 15" followed by a 90 degree elbow and connected at the bottom with another 14" piece to make the part that rests on the pool wall.

On the bottom piece of the rear (3) 3-way elbows I used a 1 1/2" piece on each to connect to the top of the 2 x 2 x 1/2 tees that I cut which then just rest over/around the top of the pool frame.

The hardest part was cutting the tees. A power tool would have been handy but I made it work with my cheezy miter box and saw and some sandpaper.

I may get some foam (I'm just thinking a sheet of foam paper from wal-mart or a craft store) and line the inside of the cut tees just to be sure to protect my liner from the edges that I cut. I did some sanding but I think a little padding certainly wouldn't hurt.

So, what do you think? Totally amazing isn't it? Hopefully it will work and not fall apart. Oh yeah, I didn't glue any of it together yet. I may, or I may not. We'll see.

Remember, the idea is to have a place to keep some small items so I won't be testing it with anything heavy. I'm not sure how much weight it would support but I think the heaviest thing I have is the tray itself. lol

Very nice. Clever design. I rigged up something similar to hang towels, etc on when we had our Intex. My wife would frown on me doing construction in the middle of the living room though. :D Gluing it together probably won't matter for making it stronger but it will fuse the seams and keep rain water out.

Congrats on a job well done!

Friction fit for your project will likely hold quite well.

How about another one similar to that one, with a towel holder coming up from the top of it, placed close to your ladder? That one you would probably have to glue, though.

Very nice! I think I would use a little velcro between the rack and tray so it stays intact if someone bumps into it. Another good use for that base is to hold an open weave basket or shallow crate to hold small pool toys and masks while the kids are swimming.

That is soooo cool Beens! You're pretty handy and I love it! :mrgreen:

Thanks everyone! I feel so accomplished. lol

Zea, something to hold it on is a good idea but I don't think necessary for me because there's no one but me to bump into it and I'm careful. heh. No kids or anything around here and half the time there's no one to go in the pool with me. (except neighbors and I'm not that friendly!)

Charlie, I usually leave the towel on the ladder and it's not too big of a deal because I actually want it when I get out but I was thinking of something nifty for the towel just because I can!

Piolin, that's the discontinued one I saw too. I don't know how I didn't find it in my earlier searches. Yesterday was the first time I saw it and I already had the pvc so I kept going with my plan and I'm glad I did!

When I look at the pics all I think is that I wish I had some pretty landscaping around the base of the pool but I can't settle on what to do that won't be a pain when it's time to move. (A faraway dream)

Too bad I can't landscape with pvc... lol

This is the niftiest idea! I love PVC. You can do ANYTHING with it. I've got the parts for an outdoor shower that I hope to assemble soon. Your tray holder is definitely going on the "gotta do it" list.

With your ingenuity I'll bet you COULD landscape with it. When you're building your PVC trees and flowers, don't forget to build a few PVC weeds. Just to keep it "real"!:laughblue::laughblue::laughblue:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is awsome!

....my only concern would be.....kids. How sometimes they kick off the side a little. How much does it move?
I'm thinking of building one, but instead of the 3-ways.....using 4-ways. This way I could build I "box". Reason being is in Florida. ...the sun destroys their goggles. they have to be brought into the sunroom.....which they never do....find them on the ladder.

So....even if it did move much...I don't think it would be an issue....but just curious? ??

Great job ;)

It doesn't move very much with pool movement that I can tell but as to the tray itself not being attached, (zea suggested velcro) Mom came over today and I of course took her to see the new invention. She had a great idea to hold it on...bungee cord!

If I felt the need to make it more secure I could hook a bungee cord to the bottom of the tray handle on one side, run the cord under to the other side and hook the other end of the bungee cord to the other tray handle. Voila! Bungee cord security!

Bungee cords are on our list with Duct Tape and WD-40. They fix everything. LOL

My tray is actually kinda heavy itself and has a little lip around the bottom which sort of keeps it from being able to slide off easily and for me with no kids around I don't think I'll do anything else to secure it. But....I haven't been in the pool to grab something off it yet because of course our few days of mid 80s are gone and we are now back to low 70s. That water cooled back down really quickly! Maybe next week I'll get to go in again and test it out.

An afterthought worth mentioning, the Tees that I cut to sit on the top rail are actually cut closer to 1/3 than 1/2 off the bottom which makes them more of a "C" shape than just a half circle. I didn't want to have to actually "snap" them on because I don't want to rub the vinyl, but they do sort of sit around the rail a bit which means just popping it up and off the rail would take a bit of bump in just the right direction. It's actually kinda secure now that I think of it...

Maybe tomorrow I'll do some bump testing. hehe

Great little doo-hicky! You've done a fine job.
If it were me, I'd drill some holes in the bottom of the tray and afix it with zip ties. Of course you would lose the functionality of the removeable tray - I bring my beverages and goodies out to the pool loose anyways.

Awesome project Beens! I've been wondering how to make a better arrangement for my books and drinks. Last year I used the top of our intex floating cooler. However that was in 13 foot diameter pool...not going to work as well in the new 20 foot!

Waiting bump test.....lol

I'm heading to hardware today...still going to build one. It won't be used for open drinks....just kids face mask etc...
So no biggy. They will get the hang of it if they knock it off. Plus I tell them....of course after they realize how nice it it to have.....but don't knock it off...it will break and I won't build another.....lol

Thanks

Very cool. I am in the process of setting up my pool and I am on the leveling stage. And every time I visit the forum, my to-do list keeps growing. This is definitely one that will be on the top of the list together with the skimmer and fountain.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/75808-Upgraded-Intex-14x42-with-pics
↑↑↑↑↑ There is my version of Beens tray holder.

Thanks again Been for posting. As you seen....I took your design and changed it up. I decided to have a couple shelves as I was building. ..
My main objective was to have a "box" so the kids can store their mask's....etc... to keep the sunlight from detroying them.
Mine doesn't look as nice....but we are just some country folks....lol

Oh...and when I first showed my 8yr old girl...she said "wow....this is going to be the best summer In the pool"
I think she liked it.....lol :)

I really like the shelf idea! I don't actually have anything to put out there. Or, maybe I do! I could use a place for my vacuum head and my skimmer and leaf head etc. They're sitting on a little table that makes it hard to walk down my side yard. (along with all the other junk in the side yard)

I might just build some kinda hanging shelf for those! Hmmmm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.