New and 1st time pool owner - Guidance needed

Cylon

May 16, 2014
NYC
A month ago my above ground pool (buried 2') was installed and filled. I needed time for my backyard soil to settle so I can pour concrete and that is happening this week, so next week I can focus on my pool. Right now, since so much time has passed, my water is full of algae (very Green). I also have my TF-100 test kit on the way to my house.

My first step is to install the pool pump and remove all leaves/branches floating on top.

After that I am confused on what to do, should I introduce CYA in the green water then start the SLAMing process with liquid bleach? Or should I start with liquid bleach to try to remove some of the algae first?

I wouldn't add anything other than bleach to it before you know what's in it already. Test results are going to be what's needed to guide you. I'm sure someone with much more experience will chime in here, but if it were mine, I'd start adding bleach and brushing multiple times a day until the test kit arrives and you have some data to work with for proper balancing.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I agree with the post above. If you feel a need to do something while you wait for your good kit, fill out some pool information in your sig (look at others for examples.) Filter type, gallons, chlorination method are all things that will help us once you post up some test results.

We'll all help you get your pool back to crystal clear.

I agree with the post above. If you feel a need to do something while you wait for your good kit, fill out some pool information in your sig (look at others for examples.) Filter type, gallons, chlorination method are all things that will help us once you post up some test results.

We'll all help you get your pool back to crystal clear.

Ok will do

I am not sure what to put for chlorination method. I am going to use liquid bleach as I don't want to add any CYA once I get it to the level I want.

Before taking samples of the water, should I use bleach to kill off the algae THEN take sample? Or it doesn't matter when my samples are taken? I am only asking because the algae is pretty much everywhere

And if you get a chance, post pics of your new pool so we can all see your new toy! :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.