Do i need a new sand filter

May 13, 2014
South Orange NJ
Our pool service guy says we need a new filter; how do I know?

He's the same guy who just installed a new salt generator about two weeks ago. I was pleased with teh service on that. so i have no particlualr reason to distrust him- still i just want a second opinion

My sand filter experience is limited to Haywards. I've had mine apart a couple of times for different issues. I don't think there is much that can go wrong with a sand filter which would necessitate replacement of the entire unit. Replacement parts are readily available. I did have to replace the top-valve on mine last year, and replaced the stand-pipe/lateral assembly before that (because of my own dumb fault... I broke the stand pipe while reaching down to scoop out sand for replacement).

I'm also curious to hear why he thinks you need a new one. Perhaps the cost of needed parts is approaching the cost of a new unit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.